Is the Hummer "greener" than the Prius?

Page 9 of 9  
GO Mavs wrote:


There's no proof that CO2 is causing global wrming, if that's what you mean. It's entirely conjecture.
Graham
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What do you mean there is no proof? C02 is a greenhouse gas. It is completely necessary to trap heat in our atmoshphere. Much like your body needs salt. However, if you were to drink saltwater you would get sick.
It is not conjecture. It is proven fact. Now you may want to wish it is, but thats nothing more than a hick turning a blind eye.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

How do you know that the Green House process doesn't trap CO2 in the atmosphere?
--

Leythos
- Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
says...

co2 is a greenhouse gas... baloons sent up to messure the amount in the atmosphere calculate an increase every year... C02 does not escape the atmosphere into space... the pressure of space alone would hold it in...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
GO Mavs wrote:

Yes, it's being released fom solution by the warming oceans.
Graham
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

But the process of Global Warming could be the reason for increases in CO2 gas in the atmosphere - while man does create CO2, the environment also creates CO2 gas - there are thousands of years of ICE Core Samples to prove that CO2 increased before man was producing it.
--

Leythos
- Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Leythos wrote:

Exactly.
Plus there's plenty of atmospheric data on CO2 levels from past measurements that the new global warming evangelists have simply chosen to ignore because it doesn't 'fit their model'.
Graham
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
GO Mavs wrote:

No proof that *CO2* is the primary reason for 'global warming'.

It's a fact that CO2 is *a* greenhouse gas. As is methane and water vapour, both of which are actually far more powerful greenhouse gases.
CO2 is actually a rather minor greenhouse gas.
And the Polar Ice Caps aren't melting and raising sea-level either despite what the you may have been told.
Currently most sea-level rise is due to oceanic warming.
Graham
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

How can you say the ice caps are not melting? If you are saying that they are not raising sea level then that may or may not be true. However, the ice caps are melting. I have seen the changes via NASA satelite photos over the last several decades...
This is what I am talking about. I never said the sea levels had risen fully. Any ice that is already in the water and does not touch the bottom would not raise the sea level. If all the ice above sea level were to melt the oceans would rise only 23 feet. That is a ton of land but not enough to kill civilization.
With that said, the ice caps are indeed melting and the fear would not berising sea levels. Once you got to that level the earths weather is what you would have to fear.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:03:16 -0600, R.Hemmu wrote:

You're kidding right?
You're comparing a vehicle that gets 21 MPG to one that gets 40-60MPG?
That's double the gas burned. That means double the amount of tailpipe emissions.
Think about it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B" wrote:

A Hummer doesn't get mileage that good.
It's 6.8 mpg in city traffic. About SIX times worse fuel consumption.
Graham
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:03:16 -0600, R.Hemmu wrote:

You know, if they make a decent hybrid that isn't a sub-compact like the Prius, people might just be more interested.
It is funny how the hybrid folks keep wanting us to get squeezed into those tiny econoboxes like the Prius and Civic and Volt and Fit.
--
k
www.perfectreign.com

making the impossible happen
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
PerfectReign wrote:

I have a lot of time for that point of view, although I wouldn't call a Civic size car that small myself.
The first manufacturer to make a hybrid car that's a bit more practical will be hard pressed to keep potential purchasers from over-running their salesrooms.
Graham
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 18:25:29 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

You've obviously never tried to squeeze behind the wheel of one. Even the Accord and Camry are small. I used to hit my knees on the dashboard in the passenger seat when carpooling and sitting in the passenger seat.
I felt really bad for the poor souls in the back seats.
Ugh!

Exactly!
--
k
www.perfectreign.com

making the impossible happen
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
PerfectReign wrote:

I've only ever been in the situation where a knee contacted the trim with one car and that's the rather small Ford Fiesta. http://www.ford.co.uk/opera8/fiesta/-/fie_0508_gallery /-/-/-/-
Other than that it didn't actually feel very small and was very comfortable to drive.

The only time I've suffered in the back of any car was in a Ford Escort where the back seats seemd to have no support (they felt like they were made of cardboard) and made my back ache horribly.
A Ford Granada's (large car) front seat also gave me leg ache as a result of poor thigh support.
Guess which brand of car I tend not to consider ?

I'm just amazed the auto makers don't see it.
Graham
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Eeyore wrote:

They *do* see it, or at least see that building a car that doesn't compromise anything yet is significantly more efficient than today's models would make them very, very wealthy. There's people working on it, and have been for at least a decade if not more.
The problem, which you refuse to acknowledge, is that today's state of the art does not allow a practical serial-hybrid vehicle that doesn't have significant tradeoffs in purchase price, longevity, range, performance, or a combination of the above.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nate Nagel wrote:

So why do they keep building idiot 'technology demonstrators' that are bound to fail then ?

No series hybrid need have any trade-off in range. Let's kill that one dead for starters.
Longevity ? An electric motor will outlast any ICE. The only longevity issue for any type of EV is battery life. Expect an EV to need a new battery several times during its working life. Ultracaps used for high power bursts during acceleration and regenerative braking have effectively unlimited life AIUI. Electronics generally has virtually unlimited life.
That leaves price. Until a large manufacturer commits to building EVs (PHEVs in this case) in very large numbers, component costs will remain high. There's your chicken and egg situation.
Graham
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.