jb weld holds up

alright guys here it is i went in and tore apart the block on tuesday found my leak...(wasnt hard to find I dumped in water and watched it come out of
the block as fast as i put it in) I patched the crack using jb welds regular bond so far it has held up with no leak it will withstand temperatures of 500 degreees celcius. I cleaned the bonding surface with mineral spirits then applied it very heavily. Let it cure for 24 hours and bam I was back to work on thursday.. Thanks for your opinions and hints. Eric

Let me give you another little tip. When you have a crack that you want to repair, you should think about drilling the end of the crack out. Think of the crack as a V shape. At the bottom of the V, the mechanical stress can be enormous, and it is called a 'stress raiser'. If you drill a small hole there, you redistribute the stress around the circumference of a circle and reduce the likelihood that it will propagate.
Then you fill the hole with JB, or braze, or solder, or whatever you want to do.
This same concept is used when repairing all sorts of crack damage.
basically a beveled weld.. good point!

More than a bevel, actually. You drill all the way through the piece, to remove the crevice. The crack propagates at the very pit of the crevice, and when you drill it out, you make it possible for your filler - of whatever type - to function best.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

And the same idea applies to cracked plastic or glass. I wish the poster the same success that many of us have had. Temperature won't be a problem as the slow cure formula is good for 600F. The only true failure mode I've noticed with JB and other epoxies is popping off a surface over a period of time. That could apply to a crack that is moving as well so relieving the stress is a great idea.

together again.