Jimmy/Blazer common problems?

Hi there,
    I'm in the market for a mid-ninties Blazer/Jimmy 4 door, 4WD, and was wondering of what items to pay particular attention to when checking out
used ones.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Stephen
What years are you looking at? We can be VERY specific if you can narrow the years down...
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:44:23 -0500, Stephen Niece

Me and my daughter both have a 1998 Jimmy. We both love it but have had some problems. Both have around 80,000 miles on them
Hers Transmission went out around 65,000 miles. Belt tension pulley had to be replaced. Think the left front wheel bearing is going bad making noise.
Mine Alternator went out around 60,000 miles. 5,000 miles later a second alternator was put on. Drivers power window motor had to be replaced. Wiring for ignition switch had to be replaced. Head light switch needs to be replaced dimmer for interior lights not working. Headlights seem to dim then brighten back up. Switch for 4 wheel drive on hub had to be replaced.
Both had to accelerator pedal sticking had to clean gum off butterfly.

Oh forgot my daughters AC is out.
message

Grounds [ just kidding ] Electrical wiring harnesses are a good clue, if they are hacked up, taped up with bandaids and the like, be weary. Lack of modifications is good, appraise quality of accessory installation, these vehicles sprout quite a bounty of non GM accessories. Cleanliness of vital fluids is a good clue. I like to take some typing paper, and a straw, draw a sample of all fluids, place drop on paper, spread around, see the dirt.
Hello,
Happy New Year to start with.
I have a 98 with 40 K. I have to say I bought used off a lease for a loacl dealership that I do a fair amout of business with.
Did not know it at the time but rear window was changed and nade a "air noise" while traveling. The rear window is somewhat fragile, (check it out and see if it a PPG i think ) check to see if orgininal or was replaced with an original peice of glass, most after market types DO NOT seat or sit well.
Only other real problem has been drivers motor for power window. Easy fix, several screws on door cover, and a couple of screws to hold motor on. Motor is readily avaible. Just put new tires on-at 37K- it had Micheline XW4. Just basic maintance over the past 5 years. Tranny service, oil changes. Now I am looking at OEM CD players on Ebay to upgrade the radio. I do a summer and winter maintance program on all cars that I have owned. An once of prevention makes all the differnece.
Good luck-
Dave-

Our 1997 Blazer with 98K miles, has been very reliable, although not without "issues". No problems until we hit about 65K: * A/C Compressor Replacement * Alternator Replacement * Rear Wiper Motor Replacement * Thermostat Replacement * Front Differential Seal Seeping Oil (recent) * Tires/ Brake Pads (same rotors), Shocks & a Battery Other than the above, there have been no problems since new. The truck has never failed to start & get us where we wanted to go. The drivetrain components, engine, auto transmission, X-fer case, etc. have been bulletproof. Prior to this vehicle, we had a 1984 S-10 Blazer (2.8L) that we put just over 250,000 miles on without any major component replacements required. The truck was retired for reasons related to RUST damage from all the Northest winters...there were no drivetrain issues & it still ran well. Hence, the purchase of the '97. Good luck with whatever you buy.

I've noticed a lot of the 80s/early 90s S-10s around tend to have lots of rust....fenders, doors & rocker panels. OTOH, you rarely see any other makes of SUVs of that vintage and Blazers/Jimmys are all over the place, so that says something. Had the rust on the doors fixed this summer on my '91. I'm in rust country (New England).
Like I said most command complaints from what I have been told for 98 models are,
Transmission. One part in it was just pressed on new the replacements are now welded.
Electrical.
Wheel bearings.