jumper cables

i'm looking for a GOOD set of cables. Is there a good brand. Also is there amperage on the package or any other specs that might let me know if they're decent or not. I bought a really good pair about 25 years ago, and all the insulation has finally cracked off. I remember I paid allot of money for them, but it was well worth it. How much money should I pay for a decent pair?....thanx

Reply to
bobby

Buy the heaviest gauge that you can afford, don't skimp. I have a set of 16 foot, 4 gauge (the largest gauge that I could find). Avoid the light gauges (12-16) like the plague. Expect to pay about $50-$65 for heavier gauge cables.

The smaller the number, the heavier the gauge and the greater the current carrying capacity.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Put this into Google: "jumper cables" "heavy duty"

If you want a really good heavy duty set, have a welding shop make them for you. Somewhere around $100 to $200 depending on length and clamps.

Reply to
PauL

Thanks Jim. Money isn't that much of a problem. $50.00 $60.00, is about what I expected to pay. After some research I found out that 4-6 gauge is what I should get. I'll always remember one of our drivers waiting for a tow truck, he had a cheap pair and managed to find a couple of people that tried to jump start his car without success. We used mine and it started up right away. Saved him a tow bill. I think we both learned something that day. DON'T CHEAP OUT ON JUMPER CABLES!

Reply to
bobby

Sam's Whls. Club sells a really good set. Also, Sears sells a good set. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2