Just one injector ?

I have a bad fuel injector in my 1996 pont grand prix

3.1 litre. I was told I have to replace all the injectors at the same time in order to keep the fuel system in balance. I want to replace just the one that is bad. as they are very expensive. Has anyone in this group ever replaced just one ? I should also say that I was planning on buying one from advanced auto parts, or autozone, so it will not be the delco (or whatever gm uses) that came from the factory when this car was first made. I think they sell GP Sorenson or Bosch . I welcome any thoughts or ideas from the group. Thanks Mike
Reply to
Mike

"I was told I have to replace all the injectors at the same time in order to keep the fuel system in balance. I want to replace just the one that is bad. as they are very expensive."

My dentist said the same thing, but I was forced to disappoint him.

Reply to
Al Bundy

-snip-

A couple years ago my old Taurus broke down in a little town a few hours away. The mechanic there changed a single injector which got the car running well enough to drive home. It still wasn't right, though & I spent a long time [and a lot of money] replacing other parts before I ended up changing out the other 5 injectors.

It's possible that the bad injectors caused most of the replaced parts to fail-- including the catalytic converter which was a real bear both timewise & costwise to replace.

For the future my new theory is that if one injector is clogged, or not firing, or one o-ring is leaking, then the others can't be far behind.

My injectors probably went slowly, but I never noticed the car running poorly until the catalytic converter came apart & clogged the exhaust. New converter improved things---- new injectors added 5 years to the live of the car.

Temporarily, replacing one injector probably won't hurt--- but with the price of gas, if I had one bad one on any of my cars today, I'd change them all.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

There is not much to go wrong with a injector and they are defective sometimes but I would not replace them all just because on is bad. Usually if you are having problems it is because of fuel quality issues. You need to correct that problem too or it will reoccur. Change fuel filter too if it has not been changed yet. It does not hurt to through a can of injector cleaner in your tank from time to time either.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Yes, you can replace just one. Sometimes the one is the tip of the iceberg and sometimes it is not. If you want Delco OEM try one of these three...

NickySantoro