K & N and other Oiled Air Filters - FOR YOUR INFO

Here's a bulletin on oiled air filters that someone posted in a group last year.
Bulletin On Excessively Oiled Air Filter Elements:
Info - Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or
Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter #04-07-30-013 - (03/05/2004) Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter
2004 and Prior Cars and Light Duty Trucks 2003-2004 HUMMER H2 DO THIS First, Inspect the vehicle for a reusable aftermarket excessively oiled air filter
DON'T DO THIS
DO NOT repair under warranty if concerns result from the use of a reusable aftermarket oiled air filter.
The installation of an aftermarket reusable, oiled air filter may result in:
a.. Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On
b.. Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)
c.. Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range
The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur. When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with an OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.
Transmission or engine driveability concerns that are the result of the installation of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.
This is a little off subject but before installing a K&N filter I would check out this site. It is a lot of reading but after I finished I took the K&N out of my car.
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Great link. Thanks. Sure glad I never have use a K & N. the trade-off of air flow for more dirt is simply not worth it.

I have a K&N. Hmm. Guess I better look for a stock Delco filter.
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:26:17 -0800, "GLitwinski"