K & N Filters

Hello, I've noticed a few posts concerning K & N air filters, and they don't seem to be bad. Against this, Honda owners seem to go berserk when the subject is mentioned of using a non honda part as regards
engine longevity. So basically, what I'm asking is: Who's right? And are these filters only good on American (GM) cars? And if so, why or why not?..Thanks.. Ted
Ted wrote:

I've heard of overoiled filters killing extra sensitive MAF's, but thats about it. Good product but pricey. I just use a $8 paper on my car and replace it when dirty.
on Tuesday 11 September 2007 02:05 pm, someone posing as Ted took a rock and etched into the cave:

Following up on what Brent said, I had used a K&N on my '95 Jimmy. It ran for about 100K miles with the CAI system. I noticed little difference in HP.
All my other cars/trucks/vans have had the $2 paper part replaced about every 3-5K miles. Works just as well, since I don't particularly floor it on a regular basis.
Save your money, go to Vegas.
--
www.perfectreign.com

From what most people say, the car "sounds like" it has more power with a K&N, but the tests show it doesnt really help much if at all. Tests have been cited where the K&N lets more dirt into the engine than good quality paper filters.
My choice would be to avoid them.

To be honest, I wouldn't have bought it except for the fact that I got it from Amazon for $12.00. I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong. Thanks for all your input...make life interesting.