Keeping wheels clean

What are your tips and tricks for keeping wheels clean from brake dust? Anything easiest to use or just some elbow grease every couple days with a rag and a cleaner. Thanks.

--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Paul O. wrote:

YOu might want to try ceramic pads. They make white dust instead of black dust.
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 01:09:12 GMT, " Paul "

Ditto on the Ceramic pads. There are also some dust deflector disks available (can't remember exactly where) that create a vacuum effect from the outside of the wheel blowing the dust underneath the car.
If all else fails go to 4 wheel drum brakes, and manual transmission. Downshifting will keep much of the dust in the flywheel housing and the little dust created by the brakes will mostly remain within the drums ;-)
PS FYI the last suggestion was my smart ass comment of the day.

That might be worth checking out. The car is an 04 Pontiac GP. It is a ex rental with 28,000 miles. Can I just install or have installed, ceramic pads without having to have a complete brake job. I know a shop or the dealer will try to sell a bunch of other stuff. I never have done any brake work of any kind myself so wouldn't really know what I all I *really* need. Are there any downsides to the ceramic? Thanks for any info.
--
Paul O. wrote:

Comparing ceramics to semi-metal: On my own car, the ceramics seem to retain a little more "grabbing power" when hot. They are more expensive. IIRC, I paid ~$30. Here is a decent link: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/why_ceramic_brake_pads.html I can't tell if your car needs a complete brake job or not. My own car has it's original rotors. They have never been turned. They have 165,000 miles on them now. There is no warpage. They are still within spec.
Comparing ceramics to semi-metal: On my own car, the ceramics seem to retain a little more "grabbing power" when hot. They are more expensive. IIRC, I paid ~$30. Here is a decent link: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/why_ceramic_brake_pads.html I can't tell if your car needs a complete brake job or not. My own car has it's original rotors. They have never been turned. They have 165,000 miles on them now. There is no warpage. They are still within spec.
Thanks Paul, appreciate the info.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
"Paul O." wrote:

Believe it or not they say Pam cooking spray (or any kind) works great in the winter. Put it on before a snow and it repels the stuff they put on the streets. Washes off easily also.
http://trucking.polishing.buffing.freeservers.com /
Look half way down under protecting your wheels during winter.
Any of the wheel cleaner sprays and a $2.00 wheel brush from Walmart. It's not that hard to get off You can also put wax on the wheels, this helps a little to keep so that next time you wash the wheel the dust doesn't stick as well. There's also shields you can buy to put behind the wheels.