keyless remotes

My daughter and I both have a 98 GMC Jimmy. Her keyless remote stopped working long ago. Now mine has. I changed the battery on the remotes but they still don't work.
My question is do these need to be re programmed after changing battery and if so how do I do it. I checked at auto zone they have new remotes for $88 but I have seen them on eBay. But my worry is if I buy from eBay how do I program it.
Thanks in advance.
Tim
Stand next to the truck and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on a remote. You should get some sort of activity from the truck after about 15 seconds. This just re-synchs the remotes to the truck. If that doesn't work, try the following.
Get in the truck with both remotes, close all doors. Put the key in the ignition, hold the power door UNlock button on the door panel and cycle the ignition 2 times from OFF (no need to start, just go to RUN). The door locks should cycle to confirm it's in programming mode. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first remote to be programmed, hold them for about 15 seconds. The door locks should cycle. Repeat the last step for each remote to be programmed.
After programming all remotes, turn the ignition to RUN to exit program mode. Get out and test the remotes...

Mike Levy wrote:

LOL dont forget to take the key out before the test!!!

Tried this and it did not work. Any other ideas?

If all else fails try this:
http://www.keylessride.com/company/pressreleases/2004.11.26.asp
I've purchased remotes from them before and have been quite happy. They offer programing instructions only for $$.
Good Luck
That method just worked for my 02 Tahoe but I think for older trucks you need to jump pin 4 to pin 8 on the data connector to enter programming mode. I found both methods herehttp://forums.vmag.com/suvsuburban0300/messages/3381.html

$88
Don't know if it applies to Jimmy or wiil do damage if not. Might also be something else is wrong. Good luck.

but
battery
do
This method should work, with a few clearifications.

That is - ON, OFF, ON, OFF
Now let go of the UNLOCK button on the door panel.

That is, LOCK and then UNLOCK.