keys

So I turn the key in the drivers side door on my Impalla and the darn thing just breaks and part of the key is now left inside the cylinder.
Are all these door and ignition keys made of cheap material, that do
not have any good quality material in them...\
GM products are not like they used to be...
poor quality brake pads/ wiper motors/ door keys/ ignition keys/ poorly fitting doors, lets the road dust inside the Car. Head lights not bright enough. I had to replace them... Hood alignment needs adjustment. Very difficult to open...
Just when the warrantee is up, things start to fall apart...

Sounds like you need to oil your locks occasionally or at least make sure the key is inserted correctly. I've never broken a key off in the lock of any car I've ever owned, including the POS Nissan I used to own. Most keys are made of brass with a nickel coating and some are aluminum. All original GM keys that I've seen have been nickel-plated brass.
Maybe you should go back to the Honda board to hang out.
J. wrote:

That's all pretty normal and it's not just GM. My 1992 Grand Am actually has padded arm rests and an engine that does not leak or blow up. But it only gets 21 mpg.
Boy If you got all these problems now what will it be like when it has 282,000 miles.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~282,525 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_
My neighbors car needs to be put in a museum. Over 350K, actually pushing 400K original motor and trans..... 1994 Pontiac Grand Am, 3.1 V6. Can't say if she has ever broken off a key.
I too have never broken a key (using it properly) but sure have run the teeth down to nothing so I could start the car, and just pull the keys out and pop them back in my pocket!!

Did you buy a reconstructed wreck?
Refinish King

J. wrote:

Not only GM, none of them are...
If you were a bit longer in the tooth you might remember back to the late '60's or early '70's Chrysler products... they came with (one sided) soft aluminum keys.
If you ever foolishly even started to put one in the ignition upside down, it instantly stuck so bad that you couldn't get it out. Only remedy was to use pliers to pull it. You had about a 50-50 chance of getting the whole key back :(
Memories of the good old days :)
Take care.
Ken

May I will just buy a scooter, :-)