Known problems with 03-04 Montanas?

Looking at buying one. Will be getting one still under warranty, and will probably get a service contract, but are there any known issues that should make me rethink my choice?

Thanks..

Reply to
John Reece

What type of engine and trans is in a Montana?

Reply to
« Paul »

Have a look at

Snoopy

Reply to
wp23

John

Check this out :

manifold gasket, several electrical problem and power sliding doorseems the 3 weakest point.Anayway I own a '00 Venture with 50km miles with (almost) no problem. :-) Chris.

"John Reece" a écrit dans le message de news:Kbhfd.423643$mD.145860@attbi_s02...

Reply to
Christophe Salvaing

Montana's are fairly good mini vans. GM warranty's are garbage...

Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb

I don't know for 03-04 specifically but Venture/Montana/Silhouette have a very bad tracking record IMOO. Common problems I have seen are lower intake manifold leak, Transmission pressure control solenoid, piston slap, rust, leaking windshield seal and over time, the vehicle develop a lot of cabin rattles.

My Montana is my last GM.

Reply to
ega

I'm driving a 2002, no complaint so far. Would buy another one tomorrow. There is no perfect car, all dealership repair facility are busy...

Reply to
rick

It is a shame that these idiots on the web read a few posts of problems and relate them to the whole car production. Only people who have problems report in newsgroups and one or two continuously posting can make it look like there are major problems. Most who post have very little knowledge of cars and have no idea what they are posting about.

Reply to
Woody

I speak of the piston slap problem from first hand experience. I had a

2002 Venture for 11/2 years and traded it back to GM as they would do NOTHING about the sound which was getting louder and louder. They said it was "Normal". Sounded like a diesel for the first 5 minutes after start-up at 40,000 miles. I made sure I was very well "armed" with info and written trade-in allowances from other dealers (non-GM) who either gave a low trade-in or would not take the vehicle at all. I got a very good trade-in allowance by the way. It's not the "whole car production", it's the "whole engine production". Like I said in a previous posting above, check out
and you'll see it's not just that particular engine either. Better yet, type in "piston slap" in Google and see what you get. Now, about the "idiot" thing, I have posted here a couple of times regarding this issue and asking what other thought. Others have posted their stories as well which is how I found out what it was. In short, "SIR", you might do well to do some research before you go off and call others idiots because they have problems with that make and model. The poster DID ask for opinions. What do you think this newsgroup is for, to brag about trouble-free vehicles? I wish someone had of told me before I bought the van. If you're wondering what I traded the P.O.S.Venture in on, it was a Vibe and ONLY because it's 95% Toyota. 15,000 trouble-free miles and not ONE problem, not even a squeak or a rattle.

Steve

Reply to
Snoopy

Spend some time here:

Do a vehicle search (I'd look at a couple years of a model at least)

Reply to
Rodent

I agree with you. Finding common problems require more than newsgroups research. Rely on facts and not a few posts about a specific problem.

Reply to
ega