LED bulbs or tail lites etc.

I've read about LED lites replacing the regular tail lites and brake lites etc. they are supposed to run cooler, last much longer and come on "instantly." What do they look like? Has anyone changed over to them on 2001 GM products. IE Chevy.

Reply to
Tim Dolan

Some look horrible. If your offset a little when behind a vehicle equipped with them then you don't see much in the line of brake light when looking on an angle. I've noticed this especially on Chrysler Pacifica's. The brake lights on that car are awful, it lights up to resemble a ring, not a complete lighted circle.

The new bodied 300 is also hard to see the brake lights on.

Cadillac Deville have them too. Tons of light & very bright. As big as the tail lights assemblies are only a 1'2 inch wide strip lights up as the tail light portion. The entire unit lights up for the brake & turnsignal.

Cadillac Escalade has LED tail lights. The lights on this one light up like a series of 9 dots. The turnsignal is above the brake light and is kind of hard to see between the two of them.

I think Chevy uses LED for the third brake light in the center of the trunk lid on Monte Carlos and Impala's.

Many Semi Trailers are equipped with LED lights now.

I prefer the old 1157 bulbs to this modern stuff........

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~286,095 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

LED's are fairly uni-directional. Unless the reflector is made for LED's, the light may be hard to see at more than a few degrees angle. Incandescent bulbs can be seen from all angles.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

The largest issue is that the reflector within the lamp housing assembly is designed to direct light in a specific way and in a specific pattern from a light source that emanates from a particular point within the lamp housing (where the incandescent filament would/should be). The LED retrofit bulbs simply cannot replicate the physical characteristic of the incandescent bulb. Therefore, the light distribution emanating from the lamp housing (with a LED retrofit bulb) would not be the light distribution as designed/required. Since it would alter the design characteristic of the "system", it could very well be illegal to use them. If someone rear ended you, a smart lawyer could point to your "illegal" brake/tail light system alteration as the cause (even if it isn't). Probably best to stick with the lamps as designed/recommended in the owners manual.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Thanks James. that's good enough for me. 1057 here I come.

Reply to
Tim Dolan

If I'm not mistaken they make some LEDs that have a 180 degree or so bulb. That way they are not like a 'spotlight.'

Reply to
twins0203

They don't make them with enough LED's, like Harry said, Caddies and some other high end cars use ALOT of them for them to look decent, and then the cost outweighs the benefits, and at that point its just a gimmick, kinda like HID lights, $600 in hardware that $50 in silverstar bulbs will get you.

Reply to
Paradox

I agree with you James, unless someone wants to put those ugly gaudy clear lenses on their cars.

Reply to
zerozero