Lefespan of 99 Chevy Prism

I'm considering buying a 99 Chevy Prizm LSI, with 1.8 L engine and auto trans with OD. It has 120,000 miles on it. Do these cars last to say, 200,000 miles ???

They're asking $4,395 which seems like a lot for a 9 year old car with high miles.

Thanks

Reply to
caprice85

Hard to tell. It all depends on how the car was maintained over its lifetime.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Sounds too high to me but you can probably get 200k with some care. Did you get an idea of pricing from

?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, KBB says this car, with 120,000 miles, in "excellent" shape has a dealer price of $4,975. KBB didn't list the other prices for the other categories (good, fair, etc) for some reason. Even in excellent shape, I can't imagine anyone would pay that much, with 120K on it. My gf keep s telling me she will sell me her 96 sentra some day.

Reply to
caprice85

A ten year old car with 120k cannot be in excellent shape unless the rusted brake lines have been replaced, Calipers have been replaced, rubber suspension parts have been replaced, struts/shocks have been replaced, etc, etc. Many parts determinate over time no matter how well it was taken care of.

Reply to
Woody

That depends what location (zip) you use. My location it shows 3500 excellent to 2700 poor. I would thoroughly inspect brakes, tires, lines for rust, tank for rust, suspension items, service record, oil usage, etc before considering it excellent. Even worn floor mats will drop it out of the excellent category.

Yes, KBB says this car, with 120,000 miles, in "excellent" shape has a dealer price of $4,975. KBB didn't list the other prices for the other categories (good, fair, etc) for some reason. Even in excellent shape, I can't imagine anyone would pay that much, with 120K on it. My gf keep s telling me she will sell me her 96 sentra some day.

Reply to
Woody

My 20 year old (this year) car disagrees with you. I have replaced the front rubber hoses with braided stainless merely as PM and have replaced the struts but other than that it's mostly original. I suspect a PO may have replaced the clutch but I have not.

Of course, it's well maintained (by me) with regular fluid changes including brake fluid flushes, transaxle gear oil changes, etc. that most owners do not do.

nate

Woody wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If the brake lines are badly rusted, this is doubtlessly true. Around here we dont seem to get much rust. We seldom have winter ice, and never have salted roads.

But it is a point to consider.

What concerns me, should I buy an older car (and I probably will) is the condition of the transmission. A LOT of people abuse the tranny, do not have it serviced, and then get rid of the car before it falls apart.

My buying decision would have to be predicated upon a standard tranny, not a used up automatic.

Reply to
HLS

That too. An abused stickshift will probably have worn synchros and noisy bearings but will still work fine. An abused automatic will eventually leave you stranded.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I bought a 94 Geo Prizm in 2002 with around 100k or so on it, my niece drives it now, paid too much then, 3195 I think. I miss the car, nice mileage easy to park, woosy little horn. But with the price of gas compact cars are going for a premium these days. Yikes though, I wouldn't pay that much for a GEO I mean a Chevy Prizm with that many miles. They aren't particularly comfortable or 40 MPG or anything like that. I'd pass myself.

Reply to
Ranking

IMO that's a ridiculous price for that old car with such high mileage. Keep room in your budget for maintenance. I'd only pay that if I knew the previous owner and they kept up the maintenance.

With high gas prices the best deals will be in slightly larger cars, dealers aren't stupid, they know how to rip people off. I can get a much newer mid sized car with less mileage for that price. Gas cost is only part of the car cost equation.

I'd be concerned about a std. trans and clutch as well, although not changing the oil in an auto can certainly lead to early failure.

Reply to
Josh S

I bought a 94 Geo Prizm in 2002 with around 100k or so on it, my niece drives it now, paid too much then, 3195 I think. I miss the car, nice mileage easy to park, woosy little horn. But with the price of gas compact cars are going for a premium these days. Yikes though, I wouldn't pay that much for a GEO I mean a Chevy Prizm with that many miles. They aren't particularly comfortable or 40 MPG or anything like that. I'd pass myself.

If the car has A/C, and is in TRULY excellent condition, the HIGH retail listed in Kelly Blue Book is $4610.00

The trade in value ranges from 2300 to 3200 depending on condition.

Hope that helps.

Willy

Reply to
Willy