Left Front Smoking !

Well today I went to see one of the goodwrenches at Chevy to borrow his " test Module " , he's not there ! Been out four weeks from injuries on a motorcycle accident.

Anyway I go for a drive of about 12 miles, come home thinking I'll let my regular mechanic check out my runnability problem, I get home & I smell something burning. Open the hood & see smoke coming from the LF side.

Jack the car up, remove LF wheel, the hub area, caliper are hot as hell. I hope my 3 month old NAPA Caliper didn't seize up. Looking at the brake pads there is still plenty of material left, no excess amount of brake dust around. Maybe the wheel bearing hub is shot? Its a replacement with about 175,000 miles on it.

Well in 4 hours when it cools down I'll have another look at it.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~296,998 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Its the hose more than likely Harry...

Reply to
noname

Reply to
Sportster4Eva

PAUL

Its a FWD car - there is no way to clean & repack wheel bearings.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~296,998 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Steve Mackie

Update,

R & R'd the LF caliper. Slides were still sliding freely, so I re-greased them. No wear on the pads, nor was one pad heavily worn down to indicate a stuck caliper. NAPA Caliper was new in Sept.

Up on jack stands , with the caliper & rotor off, I run the car in drive. No noises coming from the wheel bearing hub area.

When it was smoking it didn't smell like brake pad odor, more like petroleum grease burning, leading me to think it was the wheel bearing hub.

After reassembly braking seems normal. I didn't take it for to long a drive, Mother wanted her car put back together. Finally put all her chrome trim back on the quarter panels. Weather here was decent for a change.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,024 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Like the man said, it's most likely a bad brake hose Harry. If it were the hub or wheel bearing, you would probably have a thump, not smoke.

Rich B

Depends on whether it's DOT 3 or DOT 4...it's labeled on every bottle.

The fluid won't boil unless it's contaminated in which case it should have been flushed anyway. Harry takes good care of that car, so the fluid should have been flushed within the last couple years. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Got it! I should have read your sig more carefully.... My bad. Good luck with it. :-)

Reply to
Sportster4Eva