Lesabre 1988 CHECK ENGINE and EGR question.

1988 leSabre CHECK ENGINE light seems to come and go as it pleases. Has weeks where it's off and on constantly...and now as I type I haven't seen it in a week or more, but inevitably it will come back on-off-on, etc. Always seems to come back on not at cruising speeds for the most part, but on decel with little or no load...say when braking and decel around 30-25 mph. Was told this type of behaviour was typical of flaky/blocked EGR valve. Any thoughts? Also the thing pings on accel that only higher-octane seems to alleviate. And i know that is very often EGR-related. thanks.

Kevin

Reply to
FunkyKev

Shep

Pull the codes and see what they tell you. EGR is not the only thing that sets codes and with the oil burning problem you talk about in another post I would bet the EGR isn't the problem anyway. The ping might be because of the extra carbon that engine has due to the oil burning problem.

Reply to
Steve W.