Lesabre 1988 CHECK ENGINE and EGR question.

1988 leSabre CHECK ENGINE light seems to come and go as it pleases. Has weeks where it's off and on constantly...and now as I type I haven't seen it in a week or more, but inevitably it will come back
on-off-on, etc. Always seems to come back on not at cruising speeds for the most part, but on decel with little or no load...say when braking and decel around 30-25 mph. Was told this type of behaviour was typical of flaky/blocked EGR valve. Any thoughts? Also the thing pings on accel that only higher-octane seems to alleviate. And i know that is very often EGR-related. thanks.
Kevin
Get it scanned for history codes.

-

Pull the codes and see what they tell you. EGR is not the only thing that sets codes and with the oil burning problem you talk about in another post I would bet the EGR isn't the problem anyway. The ping might be because of the extra carbon that engine has due to the oil burning problem.
--
Steve Williams