Lesabre gas tank removal advice, please.

1988 Lesabre Custom. 185k. Will know more later but suspect I need to replace the fuel pump which AFAIK is in the tank. Can hear the relay. Can't hear the pump pressurize when turning the key on t the
requisite position. Haven't checked pressure or the filter. Will do. Problem was sporadic w/ no RE-start after running until 5-10 cranks for several months. That is to say: crank, catch, sputter, stumble, die. 5-10 more cranks, then it catches. Battery good. Then suddenly recently no start at all. Can anyone direct me to the procedure in general or give me a short list of this that and the other thing regarding the procedure? Thanks. Oh, and if it helps, I do know my way around a monkey wrench :-)
Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in

if you pull the back seat lower section out and find the bulkhead connector (thats where it is in chev at least) you can locate a LIGHT GRAY (light gray powers all fuel pumps in all GMs) wire. that goes directly to the pump if you want to power it manually.......i usually pull pump relay and power from there..............kjun
. that goes

This pump IS in the tank, right?
The pump is in the tank.
First change the filter. When you remove the filter, empty it into a clear glass bottle. Check the gas for water, which will separate from the fuel and go to the bottom.
Then check fuel pressure. With the gauge attached to the fuel rail, turn the key on for 5 seconds. The amount or pressure depends on which engine you have. Once the pump is off, the pressure should remain. If not, you will end up with vapor lock if the engine is hot.
You should get to this point before you pull the tank. To replace the pump first, would be a waste of time.
These are general ideas. Changing the fuel filter sounds easy, but it can turn into a mess. (gas and rust in your eyes, broken fuel lines, etc.)
When you have more specific questions feel free to post. Always add details.

I donot think you have a problem with fuel pump. when pump dies, it does, and it does not come alive after many cranking. Please be sure, you have a fule pump problem before working on it.

Throwing $200 parts at it is not the way I would approach this problem Kevin. It does not sound like a fuel pump problem. I'd start with measuring the fuel pressure at the rail. Get a Haynes manual for the car or DAGS, and you should find the pressure specs for your engine. It varies by engine. If you are itching to just tackle something, then I'd go with a fuel filter before I went for a pump with these symptoms.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I don't know about the accessory position for sure Kevin, but I would doubt it. You would only need the pump to cycle when the key is turned to on, in anticipation of starting the car. In accessory, the expectation is that the car is not going to be started.
Your symptoms still sound like poor fuel delivery. Not to say that such could not be a bad pump, but there are other, more likely places to look first. You should start with some sound diagnostic procedures first, or you can end up spending good money after bad, and not fixing the problem.