Life expectancy

Hello,
I am looking at purchasing a used Chevy Astro cargo van for work in a small business. I have seen several that have solid bodies and cabin but have
what I would think are extreemly high miles for a V-6.
ie: 1997 Astro with 239K.
Should I just assume an engine rebuild or replacement on this vehicle or could it last a while longer depending on care and driving style?
I know there is no way to actually say how long it will last but I guess I am looking for some experienced opinions on what these powertrains can actually do.
Thanks alot.
"abusinessman" wrote: > Hello, > > I am looking at purchasing a used Chevy Astro cargo van for > work in a > small business. I have seen several that have solid bodies and > cabin > but have what I would think are extreemly high miles for a > V-6. > > ie: 1997 Astro with 239K. > > Should I just assume an engine rebuild or replacement on this > vehicle > or could it last a while longer depending on care and driving > style? > > I know there is no way to actually say how long it will last > but I > guess I am looking for some experienced opinions on what these > powertrains can actually do. > > Thanks alot.
High milage is okay if they are maintained properly as I have seen gas engines go past 300K and if it runs good now and no burning oil and will not blow up over night. My bigger concern is tranny because if it has not been rebuilt in last few years it maybe be on last legs so if you buy it get it dirt cheap so you can afford a tranny if need be. YOu maigh also check to see if it has had front end work on suspension because if no it is surly worn out and another reason to pay peanuts for it. The 4.3 is based off of 350 which is a solid proven motor design.
I drove both the Astro at work and 94 Safari AWD currently for personnel use. The Safari looks the same at a glance but it is far tougher. The Astro has a unitized body (no frame) I was told that the GMC version is built on a S10 frame. I just finished hauling 55 boxes of floor tiles at 40 lbs each 200 km........my Safari awd had no problem AT ALL good thing the cops never caught me was way over on my load limit. The door handles on both models are flaky and have to be handled with kit gloves. Never slam the doors keep them lubed and the sliding door track clean. With the mileage that you are talking I would replace most of the sensors mainly the o2 . I have seen these V6 engines with well over 500 k and still running. The V6 is virtually a GM small block with two chopped of cylinders. I also discovered that the Flapper inside the intake top (forget what its called) was seized. If I remember right it's only purpose was to balance the air intake from side to side while flooring it. My O2 sensor was badly clogged but I never got a check engine light....the only reason I looked at it was the mileage was a bit out. I now get 22 mpg Cdn. 1 mile better than EPA rating. From my expieriance the Astro was the womans too and from the day care and the Safari is the mans too and from the hardware store.
abusinessman wrote:

is this really true. I always tought Astro=safari all the way... no difference at all...
none of your business wrote:

For sure in 94 I am wondeing myself about other years. I know for sure my 94 Safari has a frame and hauls one hell of a load I love it. I also use it for hauling fire-wood filled it to the dome light last fall....my guess about 3.5 cords of wood .....took pictures of the wheels up inside the wells lol u c c wrote:

Astro and Safari are and have always been the exact same vehicle, except for nameplate, and probably a few options. They have always been a truck platform vehicle, never a "minivan". I found this on the 'net, telling of some information and changes that happened through the years: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/85-04astro-safari.htm
Steve

"And like the Energizer Bunny, these vans kept going, and going, and going, surviving a 20-year lifespan with only minor changes and updates. Despite the different names, GM never bothered setting the two apart in any way. They were identical mechanically, cosmetically, and in price from the beginning. "
To quote...
Steve

I stand corrected.....I never bothered to really check before. I guess they both have a frame chassis hmmmm the bastard lied to me. Any ways I have driven both and my brain still tells me that GMC is far more manly than asstro
Steve Mackie wrote:

It's the NAME!
Al Bottoms Up Divers

....and another:
"Opinions about these vans' reliability are mixed. On one hand, Astro/Safari gets a dismal reliability score in the 2003 Canadian Automobile Association Autopinion Vehicle Ownership Survey. On the other hand, Consumer Reports gives 2000 and newer models an average reliability score, citing durable major mechanical components. Older models received significantly lower ratings. Whatever the case, Astro/Safari contains proven mechanical components shared with several other General Motors light trucks, so replacement parts should be affordable and easy to find."
Steve
none of your business wrote:

Where do you guys get this crap from? They are IDENTICAL! Same shit, different pile!
Ian

You would think you've been hanging around me too much. My wife gets after me for saying that about everything.
Steve
They look the same at a glance........I thought it was bull at first untill I crawlled underneath.
shiden_kai wrote:

none of your business wrote:

They "are" the same. Your brain must be on drugs if you think the GMC version is more "manly"! Give me a break!
Ian
ok I will give ya a break witch arm? I dont know why but it just is............I have driven about ten work ASStros and for some reason the Gmc Safari just feels heavier and stronger.....when I bought mine used the guy told me that it had a frame and the Astro didnt...........I never bothered to look into it. What I can see now is that the GM version of mini van in its class compared to the ford and dodge minivan was the only one that had a frame instead on the uni-body anyways last time I looked mine has about 260k km's I add about 1 liter of oil evrey 7 tanks go for about 10 -12k km's between changes (abuse) never had to add a drop of any other fluids over load it all the time and drive the snot out of it.........I have driven the dodge crapovan at work as well and hated it.
shiden_kai wrote:

GMC & Chevy pickups go down the same assembly line. Identical except for trim and emblems. Not sure about the mini-vans.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
my 96 chevy 1/2 pickup has 235,000 miles on it now, no rebuild of the engine or the transmission. Still runs strong.

My 92 astro had 347,000 km as was still running great with no rebuild on the motor or tranny. My 2003 however has 100,000 km and everything is coming apart. Quality is down, the door handles continue to be a problem and the gas mileage is 17km per gal. I suppose I'd buy another one because nothing else fits my needs.

Thanks for all your replies. Good pints on checking the front end. I hate it when I have to worry about the tranny. Seems they can go without warning sometimes. Hard to choose when looking for a replcement vehicle.
Thanks again.