Life expectancy

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a used Chevy Astro cargo van for work in a small business. I have seen several that have solid bodies and cabin but have what I would think are extreemly high miles for a V-6.

ie: 1997 Astro with

239K.

Should I just assume an engine rebuild or replacement on this vehicle or could it last a while longer depending on care and driving style?

I know there is no way to actually say how long it will last but I guess I am looking for some experienced opinions on what these powertrains can actually do.

Thanks alot.

Reply to
abusinessman

"abusinessman" wrote: > Hello, > > I am looking at purchasing a used Chevy Astro cargo van for > work in a > small business. I have seen several that have solid bodies and > cabin > but have what I would think are extreemly high miles for a > V-6. > > ie: 1997 Astro with 239K. > > Should I just assume an engine rebuild or replacement on this > vehicle > or could it last a while longer depending on care and driving > style? > > I know there is no way to actually say how long it will last > but I > guess I am looking for some experienced opinions on what these > powertrains can actually do. > > Thanks alot.

High milage is okay if they are maintained properly as I have seen gas engines go past 300K and if it runs good now and no burning oil and will not blow up over night. My bigger concern is tranny because if it has not been rebuilt in last few years it maybe be on last legs so if you buy it get it dirt cheap so you can afford a tranny if need be. YOu maigh also check to see if it has had front end work on suspension because if no it is surly worn out and another reason to pay peanuts for it. The 4.3 is based off of 350 which is a solid proven motor design.

Reply to
SnoMan

I drove both the Astro at work and 94 Safari AWD currently for personnel use. The Safari looks the same at a glance but it is far tougher. The Astro has a unitized body (no frame) I was told that the GMC version is built on a S10 frame. I just finished hauling 55 boxes of floor tiles at

40 lbs each 200 km........my Safari awd had no problem AT ALL good th> Hello,
Reply to
none of your business

Reply to
u c c

Where do you guys get this crap from? They are IDENTICAL! Same shit, different pile!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

You would think you've been hanging around me too much. My wife gets after me for saying that about everything.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Reply to
none of your business

Reply to
none of your business

Astro and Safari are and have always been the exact same vehicle, except for nameplate, and probably a few options. They have always been a truck platform vehicle, never a "minivan". I found this on the 'net, telling of some information and changes that happened through the years:

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

"And like the Energizer Bunny, these vans kept going, and going, and going, surviving a 20-year lifespan with only minor changes and updates. Despite the different names, GM never bothered setting the two apart in any way. They were identical mechanically, cosmetically, and in price from the beginning. "

To quote...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

....and another:

"Opinions about these vans' reliability are mixed. On one hand, Astro/Safari gets a dismal reliability score in the 2003 Canadian Automobile Association Autopinion Vehicle Ownership Survey. On the other hand, Consumer Reports gives 2000 and newer models an average reliability score, citing durable major mechanical components. Older models received significantly lower ratings. Whatever the case, Astro/Safari contains proven mechanical components shared with several other General Motors light trucks, so replacement parts should be affordable and easy to find."

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Reply to
none of your business

my 96 chevy 1/2 pickup has 235,000 miles on it now, no rebuild of the engine or the transmission. Still runs strong.

Reply to
gn man

They "are" the same. Your brain must be on drugs if you think the GMC version is more "manly"! Give me a break!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
none of your business

Reply to
Lanze

GMC & Chevy pickups go down the same assembly line. Identical except for trim and emblems. Not sure about the mini-vans.

David Starr

It's the NAME!

Al Bottoms Up Divers

Reply to
ajtessier

Thanks for all your replies. Good pints on checking the front end. I hate it when I have to worry about the tranny. Seems they can go without warning sometimes. Hard to choose when looking for a replcement vehicle.

Thanks again.

Reply to
abusinessman