location of evaporator drain on Impala?

Subject says all... car has horrific stench inside after sitting out all day like there's a rotting sandwich under the seat or something; well I'm not the cleanest guy in the world when it comes to company vehicles but I just spent the morning dunging it out and the only organic debris that I could find was one lonely onion ring under the seat. So the reek is apparently not manmade, or at least caused by the driver...

I've also noticed that when accelerating, I hear a gurgling sort of noise - not actually the slosh one would suspect but I'm still sticking with "plugged evaporator drain" for lack of any better ideas. Any help?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

This may sound stupid, but I had a similar problem once. Turned out to be someone's lunch left in my trunk...

Reply to
80 Knight

Well, there's nothing in the trunk but some fire alarm parts and a couple rolls of shop drawings... I have thoroughly cleaned the interior with Murphy's and shampooed the floor mats (whose brilliant idea was it to provide light grey carpeted floor mats in a work car, anyway?) and tucked a dryer sheet in the springs of each front seat.

We'll see if it comes back next week; right now it's airing out in the driveway. I suspect it will, however; I haven't found anything to which to attribute the funk.

At least it's clean now; I was getting tired of driving around in a rolling trash heap, but it's been months since I had a free weekend day that it wasn't cold, raining, snowing, or a combination thereof...

nate

(spring cleanin' time...)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

In my case it was a container of night crawlers in the trunk. Hot summer days... Oh man - it was bad... very bad.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Care to stop by and clean my car too? :-P

I'm in the same boat. It's 2 degrees outside now, so still a little cold to be out cleaning the car. It's amazing how much garbage and such accumulates in a car over the winter.

Reply to
80 Knight

Nasty. I think one of the oddest things I ever forgot about in my trunk was a 24 pack of Pepsi. It was around January, and I opened the trunk up to get something, and found the Pepsi that had been in there since Christmas. A few cans managed to brave the cold, but the rest had exploded. At least the trunk's carpet liner came out to be cleaned easily..

Reply to
80 Knight

I'll clean your car out if you'll build me a driveshaft and set up the rear end in my Stude :)

On second thought, I'd rather just work on the Stude myself (I HATE detailing type stuff.)

For sure. Esp. when you drive it every day, and it's something of a mobile office.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

OMG, the night crawler story reminds me of a similar incident, only in our case, in a BRAND NEW Impala with less than 1,000 miles, the lid came off in the back seat and turned over (without our knowledge)... the worms crawled in between the seat and back and bottom and died UNDER the reat seat.

TALK ABOUT A MESS... lol

We had to take it to the dealer to get the seat removed and get that nasty mess out!!!!

lol

willy

Reply to
Willy

I would assume when you cleaned the car, you didn't notice any damp carpet or I suspect you would have mentioned it. A couple of things I would check. One is stick your nose close to the a/c vents when you first start the car and see if that's the source. Check around the a/c intake vents (close to the windshield wipers) to make sure something funky hasn't gotten lodged there during winter..

If that fails, stick your nose between the crack of the back seat bottom and back and see if possibly something has gotten under the back seat. I had the problem one time, and a dead critter can create an unbearable stench!!!!

Good luck.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Sounds like a plugged duckbill. Jack it up and look near the passenger side of the cradle mount. The duckbill should be sticking down just above the rail. If it is plugged give it a squeeze. WATCH OUT for the crap. Once you have it open stick a hollow tube in it and spray a mix of valorous and water in there to kill any mold.

Reply to
Steve W.

Lol. You do the driveshaft, I'll stick with detailing.

That doesn't help much. Well, at least it's clean for now!

Reply to
80 Knight

Grr-- Mine did this a couple years ago. GM is aware of it and your dealer should be able to fix you up with an evaporator cleaning with some special cleaner- then some electronic switch on your heater so it dries the evaporator out after each use. TSB # is 99-01-39-004A

A friend had a Caddilac that did this & the dealer fixed it for nothing.

Or you could do what I did-- took off the pollen filter and shot a bunch of Febreze into the evaporator.

Now I try to remember to blow the fan with no a/c for 10 minutes or so at the end of a trip. [its been 2 yrs and no re-occurence]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The feature you refer to is called afterblow, available on some, but not all models.

Reply to
Kevin