Locking tourqe converter

On my 2000 G3500 cargo van, is there a way to allow the tourqe converter to lock in 2nd and 3rd gears? It does lock in overdrive. It would come in handy when pulling a trailer. In my old 87? gmc safari it locked in all four gears if the conditions were right.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Should be do-able provided you can find a shop that can reprogram the tranny computer. I'm trying to find one in my area for my car with no success yet :(

Reply to
Full_Name

Of course it's doable. If you cut and paste a switch into the harness you can turn it on any time you want. However, I don't think you really want it on. You will be lugging the engine and costing yourself gas mileage if you defeat the correct mapping of lockup.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I wouldn't like it to be controlled fully by a switch without the computer turning it on and off. I'm too forgetful and can easily imagine myself coming to a stop with it still engaged! But a switch that allowed it to lock up in 2nd and 3rd gear the same as it does in O-Drive would be great! Just picture a 1 ton van towing a 3 ton trailer up hills. I'm sure gas mileage would increase if I'm in 3rd gear going

60 mph and the torque converter was locked instead of slipping. Not to mention the tranny running much cooler.
Reply to
Tony Miklos