Looking for a mid-size domestic car recommendation

Page 2 of 16
Eugene wrote:

Only in your mind.
Threeducks wrote:

Some statistics about distribution of shareholding:
Germany 55.4% Europe, without Germany 20.7% USA 16.2% Others 7.7%
Shareholders exceeding 5 % total 17.6% Deutsche Bank AG 10.4% Emirate of Kuwait 7.2%
Free Float 82.4% Institutional Investors 54.4% Private Investors (1.8 million) 28.0%
I don't think there are a lot of "high up executives" as shareholders, though it is correct to state that only a minority of the shares are held in the USA. I don't know who holds the 17.6% of shares not quoted.
It won't surprise you to know that the Kuwaiti government shareholding sometimes gets controversial...
More info:
http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom/0,,0-5-7196-1-70868-1-0-0-0-0-0-36-7164-0-0-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

and a few others held majority shares and controlling interest. Post merger they all sold off their stock and retired and the stock was bought up mostly overseas. After making the mistake of buying one Chrysler and having to replace most of the Mitsubishi parts in it I won't make the same mistake again weather its owned my Americans or anyone else :)
| Dori A Schmetterling wrote: | | > Some statistics about distribution of shareholding: | > | > Germany 55.4% | > Europe, without Germany 20.7% | > USA 16.2% | > Others 7.7% | > | > Shareholders exceeding 5 % total 17.6% | > Deutsche Bank AG 10.4% | > Emirate of Kuwait 7.2% | > | > Free Float 82.4% | > Institutional Investors 54.4% | > Private Investors (1.8 million) 28.0% | > | > | > I don't think there are a lot of "high up executives" as shareholders, | > though it is correct to state that only a minority of the shares are held | > in | > the USA. I don't know who holds the 17.6% of shares not quoted. | > | True not now, before the "merger" just a few of the Chrysler executive board | and a few others held majority shares and controlling interest. Post | merger they all sold off their stock and retired and the stock was bought | up mostly overseas. After making the mistake of buying one Chrysler and | having to replace most of the Mitsubishi parts in it I won't make the same | mistake again weather its owned my Americans or anyone else :) |
Don't forget where most of the corporate taxes on profits are paid as well...hint...where the corporation is headquartered. Why do you think companies like Black & Decker move their headquarters outside of US borders? Why for the favorable tax treatment there, of course! Don't be _fooled_ by the crap that since it's "built" in the US, it's a US car..helps the US economy...keeps the jobs in the US, etc. It's all hogwash. Most of the money you spend goes to the country where the HQ is located and pays many people that work at the HQ (which ain't here folks!)
Interesting about Chrysler, but Daimler-Benz never had significant executive shareholders, AFAIK. The biggest single 'private' shareholder is the Kuwaiti govt, via its investment vehicle.
DAS
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:27:49 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

Of course the executives are not shareholders. They don't mind the income, but they sure aren't tying their futures to the companies. :-)

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Clare - What year Mystique? I have owned and maintained a '96 Mystique and a '98 Contour (Ford's Mystique) for several years now for my daughters, and so am familiar with their peculiarities. A very good enthusiast site for Contours/Mystiques (or more affectionately known as "Contiques") is www.contour.org, complete with discussion forums and years of searchable archives.
One reason that I ask what year you have is that there was a serious flaw in under-hood wiring in '95 thru '97 MY's which I may be able to give you some pointers on (both in recognizing symptoms of and fixing).

Brad Clarke wrote:

From my reading of their forums for a couple of years, not if the fluid is changed on a reasonably regular basis, but, yes you do read of a failure every now and then, like on any car forum of whatever brand. I've not had any tranny problems. I did have the fluid changed once on both the '96 and the '98.

lobbying Ford to fix the transmissions.
Brad Clarke wrote:

That may be the case - I just don't recall reading much about it. If that is the case, it would show up in a search of the forum on www.contour.org.
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, James C. Reeves wrote:

Perhaps not by you, but you are not "most".
Cars built in North America of primarily North American parts are considered "domestic" for legal purposes, regardless of whether the nameplate says "Dodge" or "Nissan" or whatever.
Daniel J. Stern wrote:

do assemble some of them here. The final assembly of a car is a very small part of the whole product when you add in all the parts such as design, testing, project management, etc. Companies like then are still majority owned by Japanese banks with the majority of profit and jobs going back into the Japanese economy. They ship most of the parts here and do the final assembly so they can market them as American to fool consumers.

Really? Can you please provide the percent of the content that is Amercian? For many of the cars and trucks, they are assembled mostly from American parts.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

in Marysville OH because the parts ran out (just in time manufacturing). Even so the manufacturing process is still a small part of the total, R&D, PM, design, etc take up a big chunk and the Japanese companies won't let us "inferior" Americans help with that much at all.
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Eugene wrote:

That may be how *you* consider them, and it may even be how *I* consider them, but that's not how the law considers them.
Daniel J. Stern wrote:

Unfortunately loopholes in the law and relaxed standards don't make something right. Even if they are still marketed as American your still helping the Japanese economy more than the American economy. And I'm not even starting on the believed reliability that companies like them have earned. I get to hear co-workers on the phone all day scheduling maintenance and repairs of their Japanese cars all while telling others how reliable they are.
Perhaps you should try reading the domestic content label on the new car sticker next time you are out buying a car.

Before anyone gets their panties in a knot about bad foreigners and good domestic employers keep in mind that Ken Lay & Company were right from the USA. And "Madonna," (who lives in England so she doesn't have to pay US taxes) is yet another example of US corporate responsibility.
We should care less about who "owns" a given logo than where the income, profits and taxes go.
I couldn't care less if a North Korean Company made all my products, if all the income, profits and taxes stayed right here.
Remember GM makes more money from financing, than from Vehicle production.