Looking for input on aftermarket ignition systems....

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket ignition systems like the ones made by Jacobs and MSD?
I'm mainly looking for info on the pros and cons of installing one of
these on my '99 4X4X4dr. The advertisements talk of power and mileage increases, but how realistic are they? Anyone have an estimate for the time to break even with fuel savings?
I was also thinking of matching one of these systems with a set of the Bosch Platinum+4 spark plugs, but I do wonder if the higher spark voltages tend to eat the plugs. Of course neither manufacturer mention anything on this topic....
packrat

I recently read an article that compared Mallory to MSD ignitions. Though both are fine companies the Mallory was more forgiving on the voltage required for it to perform in it's given specifications. Also there seemed to be more options as far as adjustments on the Mallory units.
Not my experience just what I read.
Brian
Don't worry about " too much spark output " Magnetos put out huge sparks at high RPMs and the plugs don't weld themselves to the head, turn funny colors, or do anything nasty.
MSD or Mallorys are great for early cars, and standard fare for racing cars. For the street, you want reliability, not some finicky brain box that requires constant attention.
Modern cars have excellent ignitions, some tweaking will improve performance. Avoid " bargain " parts, they are no bargain. As for plugs I've used the Bosch Platinum plugs and recommend them, especially for winter use
Change fuel filters frequently, a partially clogged filter can confuse the computer, and masqurade as an ignition problem.
I can't see any advantage to installing an aftermarket ignition in a vehicle that new, unless the engine was significantly modified (turbo, nitrous, etc.) It will almost certainly be more trouble than it's worth.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada