Loose steering wheel

The past 2 times I have taken my 94 Grand AM in to the shop, both times they have told me that the steering wheel has some play. It does move a bit, but
is this something that I really need to worry about ? Or are they pointing out a future problem in the making ? I guess all I want to know is if the steering wheel being a bit loose (ie moves side to side slightly and up and down slightly) is any reason to be concerned ?
Regards, Steve K
This is likely in the tilt mechanism and will get worse over time. The screws that hold the mechanism together begin to back out.
Steve K wrote:

Some slack is normal. I would worry if it were over 1 or 2 mm. I had a Buick a few years ago that kept loosening the bolts that hold the tilt wheel assm. to the hard mount. A few drops of Blue LockTite fixed it up.