loss of power

1987 Buick Century w/3.8L engine. Has new timing chain, new crank sensor. Engine runs good, but when it is put in gear it has no power. What might the trouble be?

Define "no power."

loss of power, engine runs well, but when I put it in gear, I can feel it go in gear, but it will not pull.
Did you check the transmission fluid?

The dip stick says the transmission fluid level is full.

With car up to temperature and engine running?
I won't be able to check that until tommorrow, so I'll get back with you then, thanks!

BROWNIE, sure sounds like timing chain must be improperly meshed/timed--kinda like off a tooth or more. Hope this is not the case. s
Then how did it leave the shop, unless he did his own work?

sensor.
Why would you say that? Read the whole thread.
Steve Mackie wrote:

If you get the cam out of time it will start and run but power can be down a lot. If it is retarded, will be very weak at idle for power when you load it and if it is advance it will have good low speed power and no top end
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

case.
No no, I understand how bad timing can cause loss of power, but, read through the whole thread and you will see the OP stated, after I asked him to define "loss of power," "loss of power, engine runs well, but when I put it in gear, I can feel it go in gear, but it will not pull."
Without asking more, I'm reading into it that he means the car won't move. That being said, more info is required. If the timing is retarded and he puts it in gear, wouldn't the engine bog/sputter/stall? He said the engine "runs fine." What we need to know is if the engine revs and the car doesn't move, or the engine bogs and the car doesn't move. Maybe the parking brake is on? ;)
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

I know what you are say but if cam is out of time (not talking spark timing here) it can start and run smoothly sometime but be quite gutless when you load it down. I have seen this happen to someone more than once.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

doesn't
brake
Agreed, he did say that he replaced the timing chain, otherwise I would have never mentioned the cam timing thing.
Steve Mackie wrote:

--

www.thesnoman.com

Hey, Snoman, bet we've both seen where an engine has jumped a tooth (from wear, not recent work) and idled SEEMINGLY BETTER than before, but wouldn't produce enough power to accelerate. Comments? s
to this i would have to say the clutch is buggered/ does it pull in any gear at all or just in first. i have worked with vauxhalls so i might be able to help
This 1987 Buick wis my sons car, and he told me his wife had put some fluid in the transmission. I wondered if it was transmission fluid she had put in, so took a long tube and syphoned out some and compared it with transmission fluid. The fluid I syphoned out has a brownish cast and a strong oil odor,but the transmission fluid is redish in color and doesn't have a strong oil odor,so I think she put engine oil in instead of transmission fluid. Now I'm wondering how to get it cleaned out without costing an arm and a leg.