Loss of Power on 95 Lumina

hi Group, we have a 1995 Lumina LS that has loss the ability to accelerate. when i say accelerate i mean even with the pedal more than half way down the car hesitates seriously before accelerating,
and when it does, it will only reach about 30-35mph. The wires & plugs are new (changed after this started, but didn't help). At worst i think the engine may be shot; i was told by the local street mechanic possible bad valve. Others have suggested:
fuel pump pressure regulator(??) bad injectors vacuum leak EGR (??) bad gas
I intend to take it to some other 'qualifed' mechanics, but thought i would get some insight from the group. Up until this issue, there have been no major problems with the car, it has 188k on it and for the most part has ran pretty good. Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
pax, h2
Did it get this way slowly or suddenly?

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:05:04 -0800, "Scott Buchanan"
hi, would have to say suddenly....
pax, h2
h2 wrote:

Bad gas is a possibility, consider changing fuel filter
Vacuum tubing is cheap, buy a few feet of every size under the hood, and change them one at a time. This prevents paying a technician prevailing wage to do a simple job. Does the car cut out, or sputter ?
Modern cars .......... no thanks, I'll keep my 81

hi, yes it sputters while in gear, but idles fine in neutral...
pax, h2