Loud ping/bell sound

I bought a 04 Chevy Tahoe recently and its starting to make loud pinging noise, almost a bell like sound, around the bottom part of the vehicle especially after I drive and sitting idle.
The car is new and it now has about 850 miles on it but the loud sound started around the 650 mile mark. I conducted the traditional 500 mile break-in period and even changed the oil at 550. After the break-in period, I started to drive a little more normal.
I know the small clicking noise is normal because of the metal contracting but I think the bell sound is related. I'm not sure. (shrug)
Will this loud ping sound go away or should I start to worry?
Thanks in advance.
Warranty item. Take it back to the dealer and have them check it out.
|I bought a 04 Chevy Tahoe recently and its starting to make loud pinging | noise, almost a bell like sound, around the bottom part of the vehicle | especially after I drive and sitting idle. | | The car is new and it now has about 850 miles on it but the loud sound | started around the 650 mile mark. I conducted the traditional 500 mile | break-in period and even changed the oil at 550. After the break-in period, | I started to drive a little more normal. | | I know the small clicking noise is normal because of the metal contracting | but I think the bell sound is related. I'm not sure. (shrug) | | Will this loud ping sound go away or should I start to worry? | | Thanks in advance. | |
Well, it looks like this is an already known problem:
Make : CHEVROLET Model : TAHOE Year : 2004 Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Service Bulletin Num : 030605008 Date of Bulletin: NOV 01, 2003 NHTSA Item Number: 10005576 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM Summary: ADVANCE SERVICE INFORMATION - EXHAUST SYSTEM POPPING/SNAPPING NOISE WHEN VEHICLE IS HOT, AT IDLE OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER VEHICLE IS SHUT OFF.

See the thread on this group about the same problem and it is mentioned a lot at www.automotiveforums.com. It's a faulty exhaust or muffler. Mine does it and drives me nuts. (2004 GMC Yukon, started at 600 miles, now have 2800 miles) I can hear it when I am driving. The dealer told me GM is waiting on a "fix" for it for a year. Sounds like the big stall and ignore to me; He did not seem too interested. I am and others are also. Complain to GM loudly. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Well, according to the chevy dealer down the street from here, there seems to be a fix now available. They need to adjust the exhaust brackets and motor mounts per the service information. That will repair the cooling ping problem.
FYI.

I took mine for 3000 mi service the other day. The svc mgr told me the "fix" was for the 6L engine and not my 5.3. He couldn't explain to me why GMC would not authorize a repair. I asked him why they sell GMC vehicles with known defects and he told me to complain to GMC.

Hmmm, if this particular bulletin is only for the 6.0L, then GM seems to think there is a problem with the 6.0L only, which is NOT the case.
I read somewhere that the "fix" was supposed to be out mid-October, which a "fix" is out now but for the wrong model?
Very confusing.

I just looked at the Chevrolet website and the Tahoe only comes with a 4.8L or 5.3L. There isn't a 6.0L option for the Tahoe but the same bulletin is out for it? (shrug)
Still confused.

Look at the thread "2004 GMC Yukon problems"