"low coolant" light

hello everyone, i have just recently aquired a 1997 pontiac transport w/ 3.4l v6 About a week ago i noticed that the "low coolant" light was started flashing. I?ve have checked the coolant levels and all is normal and has remained normal throughout the week. Also the same day when I was at idle the "oil pressure warning light" began to flicker(not fully illuminating). I?ve talked to a service tech at my local dealer and he has said it is the lower intake gasket. If this is the case should i not see a reduction in the fluid levels. Also the previous owner has said he just had that gasket replace. Any insight would be helpful

Reply to
75ray_man

"75ray_man" wrote: > hello everyone, > i have just recently aquired a 1997 pontiac transport w/ 3.4l > v6 > About a week ago i noticed that the "low coolant" light was > started flashing. I've have checked the coolant levels and all > is normal and has remained normal throughout the week. Also > the same day when I was at idle the "oil pressure warning > light" began to flicker(not fully illuminating). I've talked > to a service tech at my local dealer and he has said it is the > lower intake gasket. If this is the case should i not see a > reduction in the fluid levels. Also the previous owner has > said he just had that gasket replace. Any insight would be > helpful

The lower intake gaskets are commen to leak on the 3.1 and 3.4.They are made of plastic with rubber seals and always leak from the back of the motor right at the top of the trans,the plastic cracks and will blow the rubber seal but they leak at a slow rate so you may not ever notice a drastic drop in fluid.If you try to do this yourself make SURE that you put the push rods in as you have taken them out because they are different lengths.

As for the oil pressure seems you might want to check the idle it maybe to low or you might want to have the oil pressure checked to make sure the sendor and the gauge/light are working properly.

Hope this helps :lol:

Reply to
Shakes73

My 2001 3.4L had a veeery slow radiator coolant leak for years - could never pinpoint the leak. It finally started leaking in earnest, altho I still almost went nuts finding out where it was coming from. About the same time, I started reading about it on the web.

I took some guy's suggestion and just bypassed the damned throttle barrel warming lines. Run fine so far for 3 days, no leakage, no overheating. Cost was a foot of hose and 4 hose clamps. I live in Alabama so I *really* don't worry much about cold weather performance.

Rather easier and cheaper than the official fix, IMHO.

-= Larry A.

Reply to
Larry A.

"75ray_man" wrote: > hello everyone, > i have just recently aquired a 1997 pontiac transport w/ 3.4l > v6 > About a week ago i noticed that the "low coolant" light was > started flashing. I've have checked the coolant levels and all > is normal and has remained normal throughout the week. Also > the same day when I was at idle the "oil pressure warning > light" began to flicker(not fully illuminating). I've talked > to a service tech at my local dealer and he has said it is the > lower intake gasket. If this is the case should i not see a > reduction in the fluid levels. Also the previous owner has > said he just had that gasket replace. Any insight would be > helpful

well after running a few tests, i came to find out the ECT sensor was bad. replaced it and still the problem exists. only now i don?t have a problem w/ the oil warning light.

Reply to
75ray_man