Low Tire Pressure Alarm

Page 2 of 2
"Phillip Schmid" wrote

Correct...on average....about 40% less then CP (customer pay) work.
Some warranty work is great, other operations are terrible. A couple of quick examples: Replacing pistons on Malibu engines pays 13.7 hrs, can easily be done in 7 hrs. Case half leaks on the Cadillac Northstar engines pay (older style) 11.7 hrs, and you have to kick ass to get it done in 8-9 hrs. Most techs cannot do a case half repair in under 15 hrs so most aren't interested in doing that repair. And this is exactly what happens, known "bad" work will simply "not be noticed", while known "gravy" operations will be brought to the attention of the customer. Sometimes it's GM that brings the hammer down and directs us "not" to "notice" certain things.
Some stuff is weird, I just did two rear park brake cables on a Cadillac a few days ago. Left cable pays .4, right cable pays .4, replace both cables is .4......... that really makes a lot of sense.
Brake work actually pays better under warranty times, but that is simply because the industry has artificially lowered labor times on brake work to the paying customer. If you went by book times for brake work, you would be far out of the ball park in labor costs that no one would get brakes done at the dealer. As it is now, there is very little, if any, profit made on a routine brake job. For the tech it's profitable, but not as much for the dealership.
Ian
Even if that were true, what does that have to do with a dealership not wanting to do warranty work, that is free to the vehicle owner and paid by the manufacture? Do do think they would rather not do the warranty work and get paid nothing?
mike hunt
Philip Schemed wrote:

Mike wrote:

Let me state an example. Suppose the labor rate is $100 per hour for customer work, and it is $70 per hour for GM warranty work. However, the shop has to pay the technicians and mechanics the same $25 per hour, and they have only a given number of qualified staff.
Chances are the shop will take all of the customer work that they can get, and then they will take only as much of the warranty work as they have excess labor available for. If they start taking unlimited warranty work, then their staff might not be able to effectively finish all of the customer work. So, it is a priority system with top priority given to the highest paying work.
If they had unlimited staff, then they would do all of the work of both kinds. But then they would have much more labor overhead and probably waste and inefficiency.
---Bob Gross---
I understand the implication but apparently you have never worked in a new car dealership, if you believe that to be the case. ;)
mike hunt
Robertwgross wrote:

Mike wrote:

I've never been employed by a new car dealership, but it seems like I've spent a large part of my life hanging around at the dealership.
---Bob Gross---

Pretty well said. Here in Milwaukee warranty work always takes about a day or 2 longer then non-warranty work.
I agree, the mechanism does not read airpressure but rather as explained very well below. It is important to note that if all tires are low in pressure then this mechanism will not detect low pressure. It works on relative information on all 4 tires. Also if tire replacement was done on a single tire than the the reading would be incorrect. The onboard computer interface allows for the user to set this function to bias for changes im the information sensing. You need to setup proper tire pressure then reset this feature in the computer, then the seetings are bias for all 4 tires.
I have this in my 2001 Aurora.

"<RJ>" wrote

Read Bob's post for how your vehicle works. On some other GM vehicles, there are actually sensors that are built into the valve stems (very special valve stems) and they are also small transmitters that will send a signal to the vehicles computer if a tire is low. Whenever you rotate tires on this type of system, you must relearn each tire to it's new location. Special tool for it, and wouldn't you know, it doesn't come with the owners manual.
Ian
to relearn the tire sensors on a vette, just use a regular magnet.. using the prompts on the dic, it works like a charm.... Bobo

"Bobo" wrote

Hey, good idea....Bobo. I realized that the tool is simply a magnet, but didn't pay much attention to the fact that probably any magnet will work.
Ian
The "special" kent moore tool lasted in our tool room for about 1 day..some lube kid must of thought is was there to magnetize his pocket screwdriver or something...so when we had to do one I got called to the front of the class to figure out how to do it.... ripped one off a speaker.. worked great... Bobo

"Bobo" wrote

Sounds a lot like all sorts of "special" tools that manage to walk off, or get destroyed in our tool room. I was looking for a special seal driver the other day, found it in a corner by sheer luck, went to use it and discovered that some silly ass had used it incorrectly and mangled the end that fit over the nose of the crankshaft. I fixed it and then promptly put in a "special" place....ie: where I can find it and use it properly.
Ian