Lug Nut Studs/Lumina

Friends,
We have a 1998 Lumina Sedan, 3.1. Several of the front wheel studs for the lug nuts are cross threaded/chewed up and pretty much useless.
(all I wanted to do was rotate the tires). If lugs are put on it just chews the heck out of them. I tried to pound a stud out but there doesn't appear to be enough room to pull it out. Is there a trick to this or do I have to remove the whole hub to replace them? I actually have to replace a couple on each side. Thanks.
Steve
You have to pull the hub and then press the studs out. Get rid of the hammer because you will just cause more problems....

Too late. How do I pull the hub?

You should probably take it to a shop and have it done as the drive axle nut has to come off and it is torque at about 200 foot pounds. Anyway it has to come off and the hub and bearing assy is bolted to the steering knuckle with three bolts I believe. Take it to a good mechanic as you don't want to cross thread it.....

Woody,
Thanks for the posts. I think I came up with a work around. Will update soon.
Steve

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

What type of work around are you thinking of?
Friends,
Sorry it took so long to respond. The replacement studs are a bit shorter that the OEM ones in that they do not have that smooth 'shank' at the end but the threaded portion is the same length. There is a sweet spot at the very bottom of the hub assembly where you can coax one in. So, I cut the ends off the bad ones; pounded them out; then manuvered the new ones in.
Steve