Lug Nut Studs/Lumina

Friends,

We have a 1998 Lumina Sedan, 3.1. Several of the front wheel studs for the lug nuts are cross threaded/chewed up and pretty much useless. (all I wanted to do was rotate the tires). If lugs are put on it just chews the heck out of them. I tried to pound a stud out but there doesn't appear to be enough room to pull it out. Is there a trick to this or do I have to remove the whole hub to replace them? I actually have to replace a couple on each side. Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
scorpioex1

You have to pull the hub and then press the studs out. Get rid of the hammer because you will just cause more problems....

Reply to
Woody

Reply to
scorpioex1

Reply to
Woody

Woody,

Thanks for the posts. I think I came up with a work around. Will update soon.

Steve

Reply to
scorpioex1

What type of work around are you thinking of?

Reply to
Terry

Friends,

Sorry it took so long to respond. The replacement studs are a bit shorter that the OEM ones in that they do not have that smooth 'shank' at the end but the threaded portion is the same length. There is a sweet spot at the very bottom of the hub assembly where you can coax one in. So, I cut the ends off the bad ones; pounded them out; then manuvered the new ones in.

Steve

Reply to
scorpioex1