Lumina recall?

I read a news story a month or so ago that 800,000 cars including 1997 Lumina's were being recalled for a steering problem. I called the main GM line and also my local dealer and they didn't have any record of this. It
was all over the papers and news. Anyone here of this recall and know if one is in effect?
"Cammie" wrote in message

It's in the works, just be patient.
Ian

patient, or dead
"Cammie" wrote

Just stop driving the vehicle, if you are that scared that you will die.
Ian
wrote

Ya know, the J-Bodies had a recall for something similar to that. We still drove ours everyday and nothing happened. If you smell smoke when you're sitting in a car and see smoke rising from the steering column I'd hope that you'd have enough sense to get out of the vehicle.
Different problem entirely (not just the J-cars either, N-cars as well).
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

ignition switch and something clicked that said Lumina.
I sounds like you are all talking about a different problem them my original recall post was about. Mine is about the steering, not ignition. The problem is when making a slow left turn, the power steering stops working. 800,000 cars can be affected by the recall, they noted that only 8 people have been hurt by this problem, but who knows how many incidents not involving injury.
I was being sarcastic about "be patient and be dead", and I'm not going to stop driving my car just because of the recall.
There's a recall from Jan. 29th, campaign# 03062, "Power Steering Gear Lower Pinion Bearing Separation":
"General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1996-1998 Buick Regal; 1997-1998 Chevrolet Lumina, Malibu, and Monte Carlo; 1997-1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass; 1996-1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme; 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue; and 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles. Some of these vehicles have a condition where the lower pinion bearing in the power steering gear may separate. Most reports indicate the driver experienced an intermittent loss of power steering assist when making left turns, usually at low speeds. Power assist is normal in right hand turns. When trying to turn left, some drivers could experience higher resistance or, in a few cases, assist towards the right. If this happens while the vehicle is moving, a crash could result. Dealers are to inspect the condition of the lower pinion bearing and replace the lower pinion bearing, or in a few cases, replace the rack and pinion steering gear assembly."
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada