Malibu Piston Slap

Hi
My Malibu 2001 79k miles went into the local GM dealer today with the dreaded piston slap noise. I bought the car as a GM certified with the GM warranty good for 85k miles. I have 4k left on the warranty.
The garage told me that an inspector had to come out to look at the car before or if any work would be carried out.
One of the mechanics I got talking to said the piston slap was a mere annoyance and that it would not affect the longevity of the engine. This I can't really believe.
I am wondering if it does get the go ahead to get fixed, should I get the work carried or should I leave it alone, as why fix something that isn't really broken. Am I in for more heartache when they rip the engine out and in putting it back together they don't do too good a job?
How long does an engine with piston slap last, or is that like asking how long it a piece of string?
I only have another 4 years to pay on the car and by my reckoning the engine should it last will have at least 200k on it?
The tight wallet side of me says hell you paid for he warranty, why not use it.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers David
David wrote:

I would get it fixed.
Ian
I talked with a Goodwrench mechanic about piston slap. He said the same thing yours did. Now, this mechanic has over time really impressed me as being honest when he talks to me. I'm usually a good judge of character. I conceed though it is possoible that they are just repeating what Goodwrench school has drummed into them. Anyway, I think he actually knows what he's talking about. He said mild piston slap is common in a lot of engines, and will not be a problem at all if people learn not to beat the hell out of the engine until it warms up, which he said is sound advice regardless of piston slap or not.

Thanks for the reply, turns out I am getting a new engine (under GM warrenty) as some of the cylinder bores s were pretty badly damaged and when the mechanic showed me the piston, you could see severe gouges on the body. I am wondering how long the engine would have lasted the way it was going.
When I asked him if the new engine which I had seen in the crate came with the revised intake gasket he said probably not as the gaskets only came out about a year or so ago.
So I am wondering how long until the gasket gives out in the new engine.
As a precaution I asked him to put in a new water pump as I thought it would be wise to replace it since there was 80k and I am thinking water pumps give up around the 100k mark. $125 for the new pump and no labor or $125 + $150 labor 20k miles down the road.
I also opted for new spark plugs.
Funny thing is the mechanic says, you get new coolant and oil. I kinda laughed at that one.
I hope they put it back together okay. Any ideas how much a replacement engine cost?
Cheers again
David
www.pistonslap.com should answer all your questions regarding GM and thier response to this problem. According to them 'piston slap' is normal. I guess a car that does not have piston slap is 'abnormal'.