Malibu Radio

The volume on my radio in my 2001 Malibu keep fading in and out. Any one had similar problems and is it worth while repairing. Been looking on the web and found a place that does refurbs for $180 but I have to
take the car to the dealer to have the car computer accept the vin no. of the radio or vice versa.
Looking at after market stereos, I need to buy the special 'Metra VT-GMRC-01 GM Class II Data bus Interface' so I can keep my door chimes.
Been looking an Apline Unit for $180 and then by the time I add the 'chime' unit at $80 and no doubt the face plate kit, I am well on to the 300 mark. Almost the price of a new GM unit.
Any ideas appreciated.
David
> On 8/9/2006 9:45 PM ... Dave wrote:

Try disabling the speed sensitive volume feature. That might correct the volume fading problem.

I had thought of this but that didn't work. Anyway the unit went Chernobyl on me, a high pitched whine started coming out the speakers, with the sound changing with the engine speed. Luckily I was only 3 miles from my house before I could pull the unit out to disconnect it. Guess I can use the unit as a book end now....
Thanks for replying.