Malibu vs Camry - have Chevy dealers grown a pair?

Page 2 of 3

In Australia one indication of which cars are reliable and have long endurance, is indicated by the Taxi companies. They used to buy lots of Chryslers with the Australian Hemi 6 cyl, then when they were bought out by Mitsubishi, they used Fords,..now with the larger Camrys, they are using them. Taxi owners aren't fools :-)
Jason

Using that theory in the US, Fords must be by far the best cars since a large percentage of US taxi's are Ford Crown Victorias, and another large percentage are Mercury Grand Marquis, and a bunch are Lincoln Town Cars. Actually Crown Vistorias must be nearly indestructible. The local cab companies (Raleigh NC) buy lots of used Highway Patrol Cars which have around 75,000 to 100,000 miles, repaint them, and drive them for many many more miles.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

Yeah, and those RDU Airport Taxi guys can't drive worth a damn.
Jeff DeWitt

LOL - I think you can say that about a majority of drivers in the area. It is a dangerous mix - Hispanic immigrans, Northrern transplants, and old residents who think the roads past the beltline are dirt paths....
BTW - Did you see the N&O article on speeding? A four part series no less.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

Yep, looks like the N&O is trying to help the local governments with revenue enhancement.
Jeff DeWitt

I'm talking about smaller fleets of 20 to 30 cars where each cab/taxi is owned by an individual who drives it along with employed drivers,.not a single company operating a fleet driven by drivers.
Jason
Around 80% of the taxis in service in the US are Crown Vics. Slightly less than the percentage for police patrol cars. According to the US Commerce Department site. Many are run to 500K or more
mike
wrote in message

message

Not sure why you think that would be any different. Where I am located (Raleigh, NC) there are no "big" taxi cab fleets. Almost all the operators have 1 to 10 cabs and the vast majority are Crown Victorias. Lately some of the cab companies are using older mini-vans (I've even seen a Sienna cab) and there are a few Hispanic operators that drive smaller cars (I mean smaller!). When we were in Victoria, BC a couple of years back I saw lots of Toyota Prius's as cabs. When we were in Mexico last year I was wedged into the back of some tiny Chevy being used as a cab (and I mean wedgeed - knees against the front seat, head bowed against the roof). I don't think any of this proves that the cab companies are as smart as you think. I doubt that the operators in BC have enough experience with the Prius to know that over the long haul they are the most cost effective. I suspect the cab operators in my area use CVs becasue used ones are cheap, plentiful, and last forever. I am guessing in Mexico, initial cost is very important.
Ed

How many more miles? Before retirement,..at least 500,000miles here, some depending on body condition a couple of hundred thousand more. Here many taxi trips are between towns which are minimum 80 to 200 mile 'round trips. Increasing amount of Toyota Camry V6s are doing the job these days. The mix presently is about 60/40 Ford/Toyota. There is always the odd owner who will put a Benz or some other exotic on the road to probably write some tax off with,..but ultimately they want "reliability" first and last, as time off the road = money lost.
Jason
Can we assume you have never been in NYC and noted what they use as taxis? ;)
mike

Ed White wrote:

You can update that report in 75k miles, when the Fusion is getting kind of...tired. For people who buy a new car every three years, Fords are ok.
You better tell the fleet owners. They will be surprise since many of their Fords are run to well over 200K. LOL
mike

I'm constantly amazed on how many times you miss the point. He wasnt saying that he's suprised on how flawlessly his Toyota ran. He's doing a comparison on his experiences with both vehicles. Although there are opposite cases where people have better experiences in their Fords than their Toyota, they are the exception, not the rule. This is fact, not opinion. The percentage of Toyota owners who find less trouble with their vehicles than Ford is much greater than the vice versa. You continue to deny the facts. It seems that you're the one that's mesmerized with preaching powers like Jimmy Swaggart's.
That's fine though. The rich executives of Ford and GM need your money for their new yachts while they continue to blame the assembly line workers for having too much benefits. I know. My father-in-law is a retired GM executive. Keep buying Fords. Bill Ford Jr's helicopter is over 250 hrs old. He could use a new one.

He was comparing experiences with a 9 year old Chevy to a new Toyota - hardly apples to apples.

Facts require support - where is yours? Calling your opinion a fact, doesn't make it a fact.

Exactly what do you base this opinion on? BTW, the OP was comapring Chevy's to Toyota's. I am the one with Fords. Comapring a 1988 Chevy to a 2007 Toyota means nothing. Both Chevy and Toyota are building better cars now than 10 years ago. It bugs me when Toyota owners who haven't had a domestic car in a decade, if ever, rave about how much better their new Toyota is than the Chevy their crazyu uncle Bob owned back in the fifties. When I point out that JD Power surveys shows that there is essentially no statistical difference in quality between a 2007 Toyota and a 2007 Chevy or Ford, they claim the JD Powers survey is rigged.
Ed
The problems I had with GM cars, Saturn, Chevy, were broken seat adjusters, bad brakes (3 times under warranty) , bad alternator, bad fuel injection system, and always sqeaks and rattles and poor fitting interior parts (noe that the dealer could fix) .
My Toyotas have had issues, minor rattle (dealer fixed), loose seat track (dealer fixed) , but no powertrain/brake/major electrical system failures. Big difference
After warranty the cost soars on the major repairs.
Reb

I agree 100%. After the warranty expired on the POS Toyota I owned, the repair costs were outrageous. It only takes the Toyota dealer tryig to stick you up for $500 starters and $400 alternator to convince you to never buy another Toyota. I spent more on out of warranty repiars for one Toyota than I spent on all the other cars I've owned in 38 years combined. Toyota parts are ridiculosly over priced. The biggest out of warranty cost on any of my Fords was a bad coil pack on an Expedition with 100,000 miles.
Ed
Ed White wrote:

Gee, that must be why Toyota and Honda are doing so well in market share while the Detroit Little Three (formerly the Big Three) are tanking their market share. Guess the American Consumer (the *final* arbiter of automotive success here) has decided against the Little Three.

It's funny too that there are more GM's on the road then there will ever be Toyota's. But, enjoy your's Jim. Stupid people should drive stupid cars.
80 Knight wrote:

I'll remember that while I drive my Prizm (Corolla) after Ford and Chrysler depart the scene and GM is in 3rd or 5th place.

You are assuming GM will not regain it's place as #1. Quite a large assumption for such a small person. GM still out-sells Toyota, and I doubt that will ever change.