Malibu vs Camry - have Chevy dealers grown a pair?

Yep, looks like the N&O is trying to help the local governments with revenue enhancement.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

How many more miles? Before retirement,..at least 500,000miles here, some depending on body condition a couple of hundred thousand more. Here many taxi trips are between towns which are minimum 80 to 200 mile 'round trips. Increasing amount of Toyota Camry V6s are doing the job these days. The mix presently is about 60/40 Ford/Toyota. There is always the odd owner who will put a Benz or some other exotic on the road to probably write some tax off with,..but ultimately they want "reliability" first and last, as time off the road = money lost.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

GM's record year: 2007, announced 4th May 2007. ;) Ok, I'm otherwise staying outta this one.

reports record sales and better automotive profits for firstquarter

4th May 2007

General Motors today announced record global sales, and improved automotive profitability and operating cash flow for the for the first quarter of 2007m but net income was $62 million compared with $602 million a year earlier, a fall which GM said was more than accounted for by losses in GMAC's residential mortgage business, driven by continued weakness in the U.S. nonprime mortgage sector.

Reply to
johngdole

The problems I had with GM cars, Saturn, Chevy, were broken seat adjusters, bad brakes (3 times under warranty) , bad alternator, bad fuel injection system, and always sqeaks and rattles and poor fitting interior parts (noe that the dealer could fix) .

My Toyotas have had issues, minor rattle (dealer fixed), loose seat track (dealer fixed) , but no powertrain/brake/major electrical system failures. Big difference

After warranty the cost soars on the major repairs.

Reb

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

I agree 100%. After the warranty expired on the POS Toyota I owned, the repair costs were outrageous. It only takes the Toyota dealer tryig to stick you up for $500 starters and $400 alternator to convince you to never buy another Toyota. I spent more on out of warranty repiars for one Toyota than I spent on all the other cars I've owned in 38 years combined. Toyota parts are ridiculosly over priced. The biggest out of warranty cost on any of my Fords was a bad coil pack on an Expedition with 100,000 miles.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Gee, that must be why Toyota and Honda are doing so well in market share while the Detroit Little Three (formerly the Big Three) are tanking their market share. Guess the American Consumer (the *final* arbiter of automotive success here) has decided against the Little Three.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

It's funny too that there are more GM's on the road then there will ever be Toyota's. But, enjoy your's Jim. Stupid people should drive stupid cars.

Reply to
80 Knight

What do you mean by 'decided against?' GM and Ford sell far move vehicles in the US than does Toyota or Honda. It's true both have a smaller share of the market today than in the past. However the market today is much larger than when GM had nearly 50% of the market and the total number of vehicles they sell today if far greater than when they sold 50% of the market as well. In the late seventies the market was around 8,000,000 now it is more than twice that.

Every manufacturer makes some that are not up to snuff, on occasion, at around 2%. That is why they all offer a warranty, even Rolls Royce. Now that Toyota is running with the big boys and selling in the millions, rather than in the hundreds of thousands, more of their bad ones are starting to show up in the marketplace. Toyota was number one in recalls in 2006 and so far in 2007

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'll remember that while I drive my Prizm (Corolla) after Ford and Chrysler depart the scene and GM is in 3rd or 5th place.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

You are assuming GM will not regain it's place as #1. Quite a large assumption for such a small person. GM still out-sells Toyota, and I doubt that will ever change.

Reply to
80 Knight

There's fewer Chevy dealers every day and more Toyota dealers. That's because they sold the only bad one to Ed just to piss him off and charged him triple for maintenance and he paid it.

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

Wait. If the UAW is dumb enough to strike...

Reply to
Jim Higgins

hmmm, did the starter myself $52 with core exchange, alterator $42 with core. it ain't rocket science and 3rd party parts on an out of warranty car aren't either. next time they quote you $500, i'll do it for half. and not snicker at you.

Reply to
someone

I actually fixed the starter myself for $0 because a local rebuilder gave me the part I needed. It was Toyota that wanted $500 - they only sold compete starters, no parts, and no one stocked a rebuild back then. Unfortunately nobody gave me a new A/C Condenser or Receiver Dryer, or fixed to crappola transmission for free, or repainted it when the OE paint job fell apart in less tan 3 years. You have to understand, this car wasn't just bad, it was by far the worst car I ever owned - including several British Sports Cars. Not only was it unreliable, it drove like a pick-up truck, was cramped on the inside while being relatively large on the outside, suffer efrom xcessive wind and road noise, didn't even get particularly good gas mileage, the paint literally disintegrated in less than 3 years, and the interior plastic turned milky and warped. I know that current Toyotas are much better (they could hardly be worse), but if it wasn't for my SO, I would not go within 10 miles of a Toyota dealer. However, she likes Toyotas, and since I respect her opinion, I at least considered a Tacoma when I bought my last truck. If the local Toyota dealers weren't such sleezeballs, I probably would have bought a Tacoma last year instead of the Frontier I now have.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Pendulums swing a little slowly Jim. Toyota is already seeing the results of some of their more recent decisions. Quality is falling off as they discover that achieving the marketshare that GM enjoys is much different than what they knew during the climb up. Their own inability to deliver at those levels is now coming to light. I wouldn't get too excited about Toyota's recent success. They've climbed a hill on the backs of companies that have suffered other problems stemming back decades, and they've not stormed that marketplace in spite of the favored odds that they've enjoyed. Toyota has a long way to go to match the success of GM and Ford. Right now their success is just a blip on the radar. The American consumer has far from decided against the Big Three. One only needs to wait a short time to see the reaction of that consumer to Toyota's failings at delivering quality with growth. The decline of the famed Toyota quality (in some people's minds), has already begun.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Jim does not want to acknowledge Toyota's quality issues as he tools around in his Prizm, Mike.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

What is your price of a new power steering pump to fit a 2002 Lexus LS? My dealer charges $1,500, three hours labor @ $110 and an 'environmental charge of $40

Reply to
Mike Hunter

i dunno. let me see what the pump csosts. that does sound retarded, though. called any local parts stores to get their prices?

Reply to
someone