Malibu vs Camry - have Chevy dealers grown a pair?

Page 3 of 3
80 Knight wrote:

Wait. If the UAW is dumb enough to strike...
What do you mean by 'decided against?' GM and Ford sell far move vehicles in the US than does Toyota or Honda. It's true both have a smaller share of the market today than in the past. However the market today is much larger than when GM had nearly 50% of the market and the total number of vehicles they sell today if far greater than when they sold 50% of the market as well. In the late seventies the market was around 8,000,000 now it is more than twice that.
Every manufacturer makes some that are not up to snuff, on occasion, at around 2%. That is why they all offer a warranty, even Rolls Royce. Now that Toyota is running with the big boys and selling in the millions, rather than in the hundreds of thousands, more of their bad ones are starting to show up in the marketplace. Toyota was number one in recalls in 2006 and so far in 2007
mike

Jim does not want to acknowledge Toyota's quality issues as he tools around in his Prizm, Mike.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Pendulums swing a little slowly Jim. Toyota is already seeing the results of some of their more recent decisions. Quality is falling off as they discover that achieving the marketshare that GM enjoys is much different than what they knew during the climb up. Their own inability to deliver at those levels is now coming to light. I wouldn't get too excited about Toyota's recent success. They've climbed a hill on the backs of companies that have suffered other problems stemming back decades, and they've not stormed that marketplace in spite of the favored odds that they've enjoyed. Toyota has a long way to go to match the success of GM and Ford. Right now their success is just a blip on the radar. The American consumer has far from decided against the Big Three. One only needs to wait a short time to see the reaction of that consumer to Toyota's failings at delivering quality with growth. The decline of the famed Toyota quality (in some people's minds), has already begun.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

alterator $42 with core. it ain't rocket science and 3rd party parts on an out of warranty car aren't either. next time they quote you $500, i'll do it for half. and not snicker at you.

I actually fixed the starter myself for $0 because a local rebuilder gave me the part I needed. It was Toyota that wanted $500 - they only sold compete starters, no parts, and no one stocked a rebuild back then. Unfortunately nobody gave me a new A/C Condenser or Receiver Dryer, or fixed to crappola transmission for free, or repainted it when the OE paint job fell apart in less tan 3 years. You have to understand, this car wasn't just bad, it was by far the worst car I ever owned - including several British Sports Cars. Not only was it unreliable, it drove like a pick-up truck, was cramped on the inside while being relatively large on the outside, suffer efrom xcessive wind and road noise, didn't even get particularly good gas mileage, the paint literally disintegrated in less than 3 years, and the interior plastic turned milky and warped. I know that current Toyotas are much better (they could hardly be worse), but if it wasn't for my SO, I would not go within 10 miles of a Toyota dealer. However, she likes Toyotas, and since I respect her opinion, I at least considered a Tacoma when I bought my last truck. If the local Toyota dealers weren't such sleezeballs, I probably would have bought a Tacoma last year instead of the Frontier I now have.
Ed
What is your price of a new power steering pump to fit a 2002 Lexus LS? My dealer charges $1,500, three hours labor @ $110 and an 'environmental charge of $40

retarded, though. called any local parts stores to get their prices?
On May 14, 3:11 pm, George Orwell <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-

If all the Chevy dealers buy a Camty, Camry is sure to stay the #1 nameplate this year....
Ed
Ed White wrote:

I'm sure that there are a lot fewer than 10,000 Chevy dealers. So are you saying that when consumers walk into Chevy dealers and see the Malibu and Camry side by side, enough will choose the Camry to keep that model #1?
Camry is loosing sales all on its own. The highest year for Camry sales was 2004
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

What were the highest years for GM and Ford sales?

The Ford numbers were fairly easy to find. The GM numbers were harder - I'll leave that for someone more interested. The best year for Ford sales depends on what you mean when you say "Ford" - If you mean Ford worldwide sales (including Mazda), then 2006 was tops (assuming 2007 will be worse). If you mean worldwide sales not including Mazda, then 2004 was the best (but not by much). If you mean total sales in the US by Ford Motor Company, then it is too complicated for me to figure out today, but I'd guess it was also 2004. If you mean Ford brand US sales only, then 2002 was tops (at least from the data I have - 2002 is as far back as it went).
Ford Motor Company Worldwide Sales
2006 Ford - 5,539,455 (51% NA) Lincoln - 130,685 (99% NA) Mercury - 188,579 (97% NA) Aston Martin - 7,000 (30% NA - no longer owned by Ford) Jaguar - 74,953 (29% NA) Volvo - 428,780 (30% NA) Land Rover - 193,640 (26% NA) Mazda - 1,297,966 (not generally included in Ford totals, 28% NA) Total - 6,563,092 (w/o Mazda) / 7,861,058 (w Mazda)
2005 Ford - 5,572,143 (55% NA) Lincoln - 132,496 (99% NA) Mercury - 203,794 (97% NA) Aston Martin - 4,400 (35% NA - no longer owned by Ford) Jaguar - 89,802 (36% NA) Volvo - 443,963 (31% NA) Land Rover - 185,120 (26% NA) Mazda - 1,224,631 (not generally included in Ford totals, 27% NA) Total - 6,631,718 (w/o Mazda) / 7,856,349 (w Mazda)
2004 Ford - 5,548,381 (57% NA) Lincoln - 147,708 (99% NA) Mercury - 200,550 (97% NA) Aston Martin - 2,400 (30% NA - no longer owned by Ford) Jaguar - 118,918 (41% NA) Volvo - 455,950 (34% NA) Land Rover - 162,422 (23% NA) Mazda - 1,188,856 (not generally included in Ford totals, 28% NA) 6,636,329 (w/o Mazda) / 7,825,185 (w Mazda)
2003 Ford - 5,460,935 (60% NA) Lincoln - 169,262 (99% NA) Mercury - 209,072 (98% NA) Aston Martin - 1,514 (33% NA - no longer owned by Ford) Jaguar - 120,570 (48% NA) Volvo - 415,046 (36% NA) Land Rover - 165,163 (25% NA) Mazda - 1,113,219 (not generally included in Ford totals, 29% NA) 6,541,562 (w/o Mazda) / 7,654,781 (w Mazda)
2002 Ford - 5,475,455 (62% NA) Lincoln - 159,651 (99% NA) Mercury - 274,975 (98% NA) Aston Martin - 1,551 (30% NA - no longer owned by Ford) Jaguar - 130,330 (50% NA) Volvo - Not a Ford brand in 2002 Land Rover - Not a Ford brand on 2002 Mazda - 964,800 (not generally included in Ford totals, 36% NA) 6,041,962 (w/o Mazda) / 7,006,761 (w Mazda)
Ed
GM and Ford have outsold Toyota in the US as far back as 1957.
mike

GM's record year: 2007, announced 4th May 2007. ;) Ok, I'm otherwise staying outta this one.
http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/04-05-07_19 GM reports record sales and better automotive profits for first quarter 4th May 2007
General Motors today announced record global sales, and improved automotive profitability and operating cash flow for the for the first quarter of 2007m but net income was $62 million compared with $602 million a year earlier, a fall which GM said was more than accounted for by losses in GMAC's residential mortgage business, driven by continued weakness in the U.S. nonprime mortgage sector.

I am not sure how many Chevrolet dealerships there are in the US - but I would guess the number is somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000. If they all bought a Camry, this would increase Camry sales by at least 1%. This might be all it takes to stay ahead of the Accord. Of course, many Chevrolet dealerships are part of large dealer groups that already include Toyota stores, so it might be that the actual number of Camry's bought would only be a fraction of the total number of Chevrolet dealers.
Ed
There's fewer Chevy dealers every day and more Toyota dealers. That's because they sold the only bad one to Ed just to piss him off and charged him triple for maintenance and he paid it.

Autoblog comments
"...you can even put a Toyota sign right next to the Chevy sign on the dealership. Then, once Chevy goes out of business, you can just take down the Chevy sign and move in the rest of the Toyota models....BRILLIANT!"
"Wake up GM.... Forget about Camry's customers and try to find yours. I am sure Toyota will be happy with GM's marketing idea; it will work for them more than GM..."
"I don't think your average Toyota buyer will even go into a Chevy dealer. What's the point?"