Malibu Wheel Bearing

Page 2 of 2

"we're not quite sure what it is, but we've narrowed it down to $800"
Shoe
"gbravy" wrote

You are right, I wouldn't make it one of the chain type of repair places. Occasionaly we do get the odd service writer that has been trained this way, and it's very irritating to hear them talking to the customer's and trying to "scare" them into doing work. I am quite willing and able to tell the customer what the implications will be if they don't fix a particular problem.....but I don't see the point of basically lying to them and attempting to scare them just so I can get the sale. There are very few repairs on a vehicle that "have" to be done in order for the car to be safe.
Ian
Well I ought to chime in now, The LF wheel bearing on the Bonneville began growling enroute to Lousiville when we were two hours away from the hotel.. The noise would start at 23 mph. Kind of figgured it was the WB making noise, it got louder the faster you went. I drove around 450 miles at 65 mph without problems.
The 89 Z - 24 I bought used in 1996 had a bad wheel bearing when it was traded in. The WB only made noise over 70 mph. No noise during the test drive which got up to only 60 mph.
Regular city driving you'd never know it was bad unless it would eventually make noise at a lower speed, which it didn't .
Second front wheel bearing to go out on the Bonneville made noise at about 30 mph, but did not get louder when you went faster.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,660 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
IAN
Have you or anybody you know ever actually taken apart a wheel bearing hub assemby to see what it looks like ater they've gone bad??
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,660 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
"Harry Face" wrote

No, not really, too much work just to see what you used to see when the wheel bearings were individually replaceable. I see plenty of tapered roller bearings and ball bearings that have gone south in other types of applications...it's all the same stuff really. Usually pitting of the balls or rollers, or the metal on the cup section of the bearing is peeled off.
The bearing on the truck that spit out all the rollers happened to be on a day when I didn't bring my camera to work....otherwise I would have taken some pictures.
Ian