Manual transmission - LeSabre?

I have a LeSabre with a 3.8 engine. Is there or was there ever made any sort of manual transmission that would work with this engine?(obviously NOT OEM)
I hate the gearing ratios on mine - it develops maximum power at 3800RPM, but that's something silly like 60mph in *second* gear, and 80+ in third gear. It's way too undergeared, and I really want a manual on it. How would I go about making this happen?
I believe the manual trannys that came in the '91-'94 W-Bodys would work. Might take some minor fabrication to complete.
Steve

Steve Mackie wrote:

Neat. Whatexact vehicles was this available on? Will it work with the 3.8, or is it a major project? Also, how would the gearing ratios work - would it require completely rebuilding that as well? Shifting at 2K rpm like it does now is ubsurd. It may be rated for 175-180HP, but I doubt if most people ever see more than 120 or so before it decides to shift.
Obviously I'd also want to change the flywheel as well, but that's easy once the new trans is in. It has a 5400RPM redline and revs like a turtle. Gotta fix that.
The only other mod I would like to inquire about is how difficult is it to install a supercharger on the older models? The new ones obviously have it on some models, but what about the older pre 1994 models?
Actually, I'd love to have a big 20lb boost blower and a custom hood, but this isn't that TV show Overhaulin' :)
P.S. How come they never do anything GM? I'd love to see them take an old Regal or LeSabre and mod it out.
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Joseph....don't do this.....
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

I know - lol. I don't drive like that, but based upon past experiences right before my transmission died two years ago, (wouldn't shift out of second gear a week before it died and had to be rebuilt), the gearing on it is at least 1000rpm too low. I tried last trip to Fresno, CA, to get it to 3000rpm in third gear, and it was going about 75mph. Still lower rpms than they advertize maximum HP at.
It seems stupid to make a car that you can't possibly drive to maximum HP without damaging it. If I look at HP graphs of a typical 3.8 engine, it's putting out about 145hp or so at 3000rpm, which is the highest useable speed that you can get it to actually run, barring a racetrack.
Plus, it's old and I have automatics. Would it kill GM to make a v6 or v8 with stick?
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:41:13 GMT, Joseph Oberlander

GM does.... Look East, No... not that far East...... Middle East.
Might not be easy to import it but I do believe they have what you feel you want.
Cheaper, faster, better option? Buy a newer SC 3.8 You might be amazed at how good they are.