Marauder Production Ends

Page 1 of 2
Saw a clip in a local paper today that the Mercury Marauder will stop production in June of 2004.
I remmeber a Mercury Executive saying in 2002 before the car came out
that the Marauder will be around for many years in limited quantity and won't go by the wayside like the shortlived Impala SS ( 92-96 ). Ha !
I guess many years only to come only means 2 model years in Ford's language.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~278, 900 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_
If they'd put a blower on it and sold it for $5,000 less (impossible, I know...)...
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:30:59 -0600, Harry Face wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

The one I looked at had a dealer installed moonroof and a $37,000 price tag. I can think of quite a few better vehicles to buy for that price!
Dennis Smith

That one was a dud from Day 1. Ford has been hitting a lot of strikes and fouls these past ten years. Ever since they redesigned the Ford Taurus and took it from Best Selling car to ...... Also Ran. Ford has not produced a single hot selling automobile in ten years now. A few hot trucks, but not a single car is hitting sales plan.
John
Not so, the Marauder was intended to be limited production vehicle, just like the new Chevy convertible truck. Ford has sold every one they built. You are forgetting the Mustang, it has been the number one seller in it market for over 20 years.
mike hunt
John Horner wrote:

Funny, my Mercury dealer has ten of them on their lot. Now, if you're saying, Ford has shipped everyone they have built to dealers, then yes, they have. But, that is a far cry from selling them to customers. In the world of automobiles--manufacturing in general--factory inventory is not the same as sales. A true indicator is channel inventory, and if you look at it, you'll notice that Ford sells about 70% of the Marauders they build. As we all know, for a low production car to succeed, they need to have customer orders on hand for every one they build.
To be honest, though, I love the Marauder, but for the money, there are a lot of better alternatives-- the Bonneville and Impala SS come to mind.
In the end, buy whatever will make you happy. Heck, if you like the Marauder, then so be it--I'm not the one spending your coin.
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in message

You are correct it is your money, spend it were you wish. New vehicle sales are counted when the vehicle is sold to a customer, not to the dealer and 2004 sales are not yet complete by any measure. The Bonny is hardly an alternative, since it is FWD and much smaller. A V8 Impala is no longer offered by GM. Nothing available on the market today that comes even close to the Marauder in size at anywhere near the price and that is the point.
mike hunt
Michael wrote:

OK, sorry, I didn't know we were using the rear seating size of the vehicle as a factor. I thought we were just comparing performance sedans. Since everyone in my family is rather tall--I'm the shortest, and I'm 6'5"--back seat sitting is a moot point. However, that may not be the point for you and your situation. If we are talking performance, then both the Bonneville and Impala SS will smoke the Marauder. Granted, the new Impala SS is apiece of shit, and likewise, so is the Monte Carlo SS, but the Bonneville is one sweet-wicked-fast car. The funny thing is, however, I would not buy any of these vehicles. In fact, if I was in the market for a new vehicle, I would buy a new Grand Prix. To me, the Grand Prix is the ideal solution for a performance sedan. It's sexy, robust, kind of quick, a pleasure to drive, and best of all, relatively cheap. Again, I may not be in the same situation as you. In fact, when I want to drive a fast car, I drive my 1951 Plymouth Cambridge, and I can guarantee you that it will smoke any of these cars we are talking about. And no, it's not stock, and nothing other than the body, frame, transmission and engine case resemble the factory car. In the end, it's a matter of what you like, because that is all that matters. Personally, I am a huge Pontiac fan, and if they continue styling the cars the way they do, I will be one for a long time to come. Since I used to be a mechanic, perhaps, I am in a different situations, because if I don't like the performance of a car, then I'll change it. I'm not a stock guy. When I buy a car, I somewhat buy it for it's performance aspects, but more importantly, for it's comfort and styling. After all, if I don't like something about it, I'll chop the hell out of it until I do. To me, chopping a brand new car is a hobby. To me, Pontiac has the best styling on the market, and I love their use of interior plastics. Ford, however, just does not do anything for me and it never has. I do give credit to Ford, because they continue to use RWD and V8s in the Crown Vic. But in a few years, that is going to be a moot point, because GM is going to give the Impala and hopefully, the Monte Carlo V8s and RWD. Mike snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in message

On 13 Apr 2004 15:49:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mac.com (Michael) wrote:

I hope you know something about this that I don't know because I find that very hard to believe.
In any event, I sure hope you're right!
Rick
Der Mopar has two RWD, V8 option, cars coming to the market as we speak, the dodge Magnum and the Chrysler 300. GM is scheduled to switch to RWD and offer V8's in 2005. Cadillac will be all RWD by 2006. The luxury and performance market is in AWD/RWD, not FWD. Both Chrysler and GM are going where that market has always been. Eventually only small and intermediate cars will be offered in FWD. Performance cars demand the superior handling of AWD/RWD
mike hunt
Rutger6559 wrote:

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:04:30 -0400, DustyRhoades wrote:

Whether the Deville moves to RWD is up in the air right now. There's a sense that the Deville is selling well enough (better than the Town Car).
--
Levi Ramsey
snipped-for-privacy@cygnetnet.net
Levi Ramsey wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:29:00 -0400, DustyRhoades wrote:

However, a large percentage of DeVille sales are *because* it is FWD (especially in certain regions of the country). I have no doubt that there will be a large RWD Cadillac (FTS is my dream nomenclature) in the near future. However, a large number of published media reports have said that the question of the DeVille going RWD is very much unsettled.
--
Levi Ramsey
snipped-for-privacy@cygnetnet.net
I don't like to repeat myself but the stockholders report says it will switch from FWD to RWD. Like the upcoming Lincoln's in 2005 and 2006 it will offer AWD but it is defiantly getting away from FWD. The RWD cars from the other luxury manufactures outsell any of the FWD luxury cars.
mike hunt
Lei Ramose wrote:

Can you provide a link or copy and paste some text for reference? I found some info talking about moving some models to the Sigma platform (which is RWD or AWD) but nothing saying all FWD would be dropped. <http://media.gm.com/division/2004_prodinfo/cadillac/pdf/04 _Cadillac_Overview.pdf>
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in

In three posts I said I saw it in the Stockholders report. If you know someone who owns GM stock, ask to see a copy, WBMA.
mike hunt
Joe Blow wrote:

Yes, I had read all 3 of your posts. And I have looked at the GM stockholders reports <http://www.gm.com/company/investor_information/stockholder_info /? section=Company&layer=Investors&action=open&page=9>. If you or someone else could reference a specific page of a specific document, it would be appreciated.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in

The is the historical document released public, even it is not current. The last listed report for 2002 is over a year old. The report I'm referring to is for the first quarter of 2004, you need to be a share holder of record on March 15, 2004 to receive a copy. Try 'Automotive News' for more published information, WBMA
mike hunt
Joe Blow wrote:

Thanks Mike!
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in ...

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:29:00 -0400, DustyRhoades wrote:

And unless I'm mistaken, the DeVille outsells the S-class, 7-series, etc.