Montana transmission problem ??

I own a 2002. I pull a tent trailer in summer and a ATV in winter, yes I have a tranny cooler. I pull the tent trailer in drive never O.D however due to the light weight of the ATV I pull in OD on highway only.

Since a couple of months the transmission quit for a split second, jerking off the car a bit look like the engine is quitting , suddenly . Seems to happen on OD only, pulling the light trailer , or sometime with nothing hook to it . Any idea ?

Reply to
Rick

My 2000 Chevy Venture does this once in a while, usually when cold and within a block from home. Just a momentary neutral upon accelleration from stop and then normal.

Another phenomena is a long gradual trans engagement when first starting off in the morning after the van was parked nose-up on a hill. It happens especially when hitched up to my boat overnight on my sloped driveway. It feels like the park brake is engaged and over about 5 seconds it engages. The boat is about 2500 pounds.

I'm not saying this is normal but it's been doing this for 2 years and still no sign of further trans failure.

Reply to
Denis Roy

Have you been changing the transmission fluid regularly? Towing is particularly hard on automatic transmission fluids.

John

Reply to
John Horner

No, the fluid is still red , no smell of burnt oil or clutch material, however I will change it first opportunity.

Thanks for your input guys.

Is there some sort of device c>> I own a 2002. I pull a tent trailer in summer and a ATV in winter, yes I

Reply to
Rick