More Common Sense from Toyota

Page 2 of 2
RJ wrote:

Um, there is. Standardized parts is why you have 12 different brand names for the same vehicle. My Silverado has the same alternator my s10 had and my wife's Impala.
WOW, the same alternator! What did you need to do when you drove the different vehicles, switch the alternator? ;)
mike

Time to adjust the meds Mr Hunt

Perhaps, but I already know the difference in the meaning of the words 'same' and 'common.' ;)
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

a way to troubleshoot.
At least you have a readily available common spare part till you can get a replacement ;)
mike

There are far more standardized parts on GM vehicles than you apparently realize. Most of what you listed are standardized parts.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
<RJ> wrote:

Yep by standardizing with CHEAPER materials.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16788242 / http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1771422/posts?page=4
TOKYO (XFN-ASIA) - Toyota Motor Co is developing a radically different carmaking process that will drastically cut costs across the entire chain of production, President Katsuaki Watanabe said in an interview with the Financial Times.
'The focus is on low-cost technology,' Watanabe said. 'Everything from design to production methods will be radically changed and we are thinking of a really ultra-low-cost way of designing, using ultra-low-cost materials, even developing new materials if necessary.'
Watanabe said the company will review each step in the production process to lower costs for a new model and then to apply the lessons across its line-up.
Asked about the price of a car produced via the new process Watanabe said the company has a rough target of being 'at least' cheaper than the Renault (other-otc: RNSDF.PK - news - people ) Logan.
Watanabe also denied media speculation that Toyota (nyse: TM - news - people ) is poised to strike a cooperation agreement with Ford, saying no specifics have been discussed.
--
Steve W.

<rj>

I didnt read this as saying they would standardize their lilne with cheaper materials. Maybe I got it wrong. I supposed that the Japanese want to compete for the very low end Renault car which presently sells for $6200 (but not in the USA).
As many Yugos as were sold, I would suppose there is a market for the ultracheap heap here in America. If it lasts three years and then can be recycled into door mats or cattle feed, maybe that is good enough. Would I buy a $5000 car or light pickup that would get 50 mpg, maybe do 70 mph top speed??? Who knows...maybe...Not as a road car, for sure, but for grocery shopping, going to the dentist, etc...why not?
IF the government is going to make good on the goal to reduce gasoline consumption by 20% in the next decade, then we are going to have a tidal movement toward low horsepower higher economy cars, diesel, mass transportation, alternate fuels, and possibly punitive taxes on gasoline.
There is no other way to do it that I know of.
How about drive less? There are plenty of high mileage cars and trucks available on the market today. Not enough buyers chose to buy them, however, since none is a top seller in the US. It is common in the US for there to be more than one car in a household. Many that buy the safer vehicles they need for their family also have a higher mileage vehicle to use when needed.
mike

You have that right, Toyota parts do cost a small fortune. ;)
mike

GM is working fast to correct this issue.