more hp from 3100

I was wondering how I could get more hp from my stock 3100 V6 in my 98 Grand Am GT Thanks

Reply to
Adam

Look for the RSM supercharger, its pretty much a bolt on deal.

Paradox

I refuse to put that kind of money in somthing I dont even own yet, 4,400 for a supercharger! I only paid 6,500 for the car!

Reply to
Adam

Lets see smart a&&:

1) You asked a very generic question 2) You did not list your budget 3) You did not list what "gains" you expected 4) You did not list the expected usage of this extra horspower 5) get the message - you got a vaid answer to your question

Adam wrote:

Reply to
Weird

I wasnt being a smartass, mearly stating that I couldnt put that much into this car. However that is an interesting page. I have considered changing the air cleaner to increase air flow, that was about it, I just didnt know if there were chips, or other beneficial things I could do to assist with more hp.

Reply to
Adam

Reply to
SgtSilicon

If you are thinking K&N will make your car a screamer, save your money. Studies published in the last year or so show that they also pass a lot of dirt.

You could try a custom chip. They don't cost so much, and you may get a little closer to what you want.

That is a lot of money for a turbo kit, but it is probably well designed, has everything you need, and is near to failsafe.

Most cars now are just not easily modified to yield a bunch of power cheaply like the old ones.

Reply to
<HLS

HLS, I hadn't heard about the K&N's passing dirt. I just did a quick Google and couldn't find any relative links. I'd like to find out more about this problem. Do you know of any links where I could find out more info.? Thanks.

Reply to
Cool Jet

I like ur idea of putting in a chip, I however havent heard of K&Ns downfall, they seem to sell a lot of items, I do know that the tornado fuel saver is a waste of metal its made with.

Reply to
Adam

I don't think Cummins will honor a warranty claim with a k$n installed. Roy

Reply to
Roy

Part of a past post about them.

GM TSB

Info - Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter #04-07-30-013 - (03/05/2004)

Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter

2004 and Prior Cars and Light Duty Trucks 2003-2004 HUMMER H2

First, Inspect the vehicle for a reusable aftermarket oiled air filter DO NOT repair under warranty if concerns result from the use of a reusable aftermarket oiled air filter.

The installation of an aftermarket reusable, oiled air filter may result in: a.. Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On b.. Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s) c.. Engine drivability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with a OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.

Transmission or engine drivability concerns that are the result of the installation of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

This part is from a gentleman who actually TESTED K&N in real world applications.

Subj: K & N filters John: If I wrote "subjective" I meant "objective".. I was responsible for evaluating re-usable air filters for a major construction/mining company that had hundreds of vehicles ranging from large earthmovers to pick-up trucks and salesmen's cars. This study was embarked upon due to the fact that we were spending upwards of $30,000 a MONTH on paper air filters. Using them one time then throwing them away.. I initiated the study in that I was convinced that a K&N type filter or oiled foam would save us many dollars per year in filter savings, man hour savings, and of course engines as these would filter dirt better than paper. (yes, I had read the K&N ads and was a believer)

Representative test units were chosen to give us a broad spectrum from cars right through large front end loaders. With each unit we had a long history of oil analysis records so that changes would be traceable. Unfortunately, for me, every single unit having alternative re-usable air cleaners showed an immediate large jump in silicon (dirt) levels with corresponding major increases in wear metals. In one extreme case, a unit with a primary and secondary air cleaner, the secondary (small paper element) clogged before even one day's test run could be completed. This particular unit had a Cummins V-12 engine that had paper / paper on one bank and K&N / paper on the other bank; two completely independent induction systems. The conditions were EXACTLY duplicated for each bank yet the K&N allowed so much dirt to pass through that the small filter became clogged before lunch. The same outcome occurred with oiled foams on this unit.

We discontinued the tests on the large pieces almost immediately but continued with service trucks, foremen's vehicles, and my own company car. Analysis results continued showing markedly increased wear rates for all the vehicles, mine included. Test concluded, switched back to paper/glass and all vehicles showed reduction back to near original levels of both wear metals and dirt. I continued with the K&N on my company car out of stubbornness and at 85,000 miles the Chevy 305 V-8 wheezed its last breath. The top end was sanded badly; bottom end was just fine. End of test.

I must stress that EVERYONE involved in this test was hoping that alternative filters would work as everyone was sick about pulling out a perfectly good $85 air cleaner and throwing 4 of them away each week per machine...

So, I strongly suggest that depending upon an individual's long term plan for their vehicles they simply run an oil analysis at least once to see that the K&N or whatever alternative air filter is indeed working IN THAT APPLICATION... It depends on a person's priorities. If you want performance then indeed the K&N is the way to go but at what cost???

site with an > > If you are thinking K&N will make your car a screamer, save your money.

Reply to
Steve W.

I havent even lifted the hood yet on my GT 3100, I dont even know where the air filter is yet, someplace in the front probally, I am going to check in on that, my car is kinda a kitty at take off (it wont spin tires with ETS off), but then it will kick in at about 5 or 10mph

Reply to
Adam

Thanks for the great information Steve!

Reply to
Cool Jet

I'm very sorry, Cool Jet, that I lost this thread a time back. I see that someone has posted some information for you, however.

K&N do continue to sell a lot. But I guess the Tornado does as well. That apple corer is even advertised on Two Guys Garage, and it is truly a POS. Popular Mechanics evaluated the corer and several other fuel savers/power boosters in a recent issue.

All were bogus.

Reply to
<HLS

what about one of those clamp on magnetic fuel savers that go on the fuel line? I've not heard much about those.

BTW I was the original one to start this thread

From: "Adam" Newsgroups: alt.autos.gm Subject: more hp from 3100 Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:22:01 -0500 I was wondering how I could get more hp from my stock 3100 V6 in my 98 Grand Am GT Thanks

Reply to
Adam

Thanks HLS! I'll have to remember that if I hear someone blurt out: "It slices, it dices, but wait, there's more!", that it's probably bogus!

*lol*
Reply to
Cool Jet