More on Kruggerands engine saga

As suggested by you folks (thanks) I visited the dealer to inspect the alleged crack in the block. What I found was a spot about 1 and 1/2 inches down from the top of the cylinder against the wall. the spot about the size of a dime was discolored from the torch they used to "open" the alleged crack. I could not see or feel any crack.

Visited there yesterday and went through what you all have suggested....establish that the head gaskets were not the problem and the intake manifold gasket was not either nor was the manifold itself. I mentioned about going to this and other web sites and coming up with the TSB (tech service bulletin) which discussed the plenun and egr valve problems and similar symtoms. They were not aware of the existence.

I looked at new cars before I left and asked for a value if I gave them my car in this condition...zero for my car.

I then pressed to magnaflux the cylinder in question...they called the vendor (45 miles away) and were told that the car or block must be delivered in order to do the appraisal of whether there is indeed a crack in the cylinder wall.

Today I looked for shops that would reassemble my engine and use sealer if the block is cracked ...or come up with the correct diagnosis as I still am not comfortable with what I have. I also thought that I could sell it to someone who might be able to repair it or had good engine in a bad body. The book on a limited lesabre is

5.5k +-.

Prior to leaving uesterday I asked to get GM involved (as you folks suggested) they agreed to do that. Late today I got a call to say the following:

  1. GM advised them of a TSB covering my symptoms
  2. they now have a pontiac in there with the same symptoms
  3. they asked if they could remove my engine block and take it to Rochester for magnafluxing at their cost.
  4. they acknowledged that the plenum and egr exhibited the problems described in the TSB advisory. Don't know enough toknow if they could be damaged while replacing the recall fuel regulator.

I agreed to have the block removed but still now worry about the subsequent issues....if not cracked what happens and who pays, if cracked what happens and who pays....they indicated that GM will not acknowledge any help even though a clear manufacturing defect due to the age of the car (1998)if cracked.

I don't even dare to ask what the bill is at this stage...all I know is that the car was running perfect before the visit for the recall and if a coincidental problem occurred it was mis-diagnosed to my disadvantage.

Please continue your thoughts and comments

Kruggerand

ps: sorry to have such a long post

Reply to
kruggerand

Using a torch on cast iron is a sure way to make it crack. If nothing else, the temper at that spot is now changed from the rest of the cylinder. If nothing else, your engine may now be shot because of what they did with the torch. Anyone that has ever done anything with cast iron, or engines, knows that. It is very basic knowledge.

I find it very difficult to believe that they were not aware of the TSB or the existance of the problem. That problem has been around for many years affecting hundreds / thousands of vehicles.

No such sealer. If the block is cracked, then you need a new one.

No. Not related.

Reply to
« Paul »

I guess I missed your first post. 3800 losing coolant? 1998? Do you know about the bad plastic intakes? Its so bad there are now aftermarket replacements available. The plastic just rots away over time. Try searching 'Dorman' on Google.

Logan Diagnostic

LoganDiagnostic

I now have seen the other post about the cracked block.

I would suggest that the intake failed....dumped coolant into that cylinder. Then the engine hydrolocked some....and cracked the block.

Reply to
LoganDiagnostic

Just out of curiosity what ever would posses someone to take a torch to an assembled engine????? And how would you find out if a crack is leaking under pressure if (by removing the head) you remove any pressure

A block can be fixed, but the whole cracked area must be removed (drilled out) and re-welded closed before the complete assembly is re-machined and squared up. Not something anyone would contemplate on any block that can be replaced.

As your car is in the region of 6+ years old with over 90,000 on it you wouldn't get any warranty consideration from any manufacturer A competent shop could pick up a used engine from a wrecker for a nominal amount with a warranty (usually) and have it installed in a few days

My take is that at this point... As you've authorized further work it looks like you're on the hook for the bill to this point. Any further money spent on this engine is lost money. The labor to re-assemble your engine alone at this point is going to be prohibitive (much less the further cost to remove it, strip it down, acid wash it and magna flux it). I would stop any further work on this engine. Get another engine, or get another car

PS don't be sorry about the length of the post's The more information presented the more accurate our estimations.

PPS, Magna fluxing engines is usually done on good broken in blocks before being sleeved and prepped for high pressure blowers on drag cars. I don't think this vehicle is a good candidate for such extensive examinations and work just hearing what's gone on to this point is heart/wallet breaking.

Reply to
Full_Name

You may be interested in this site...

Logan Diagnostic