Morning brake noise

I have a 2003 chevy malibu. My brakes emit a high pitch noise only when I apply the brakes for the first time on a cold or wet day. It does not make this noise at any other point of the day. Any
suggestions?
kfield914 wrote:

You probably have a million miles on the brakes and need them replaced. Never tell a newsgroup the mileage on your parts because someone might suggest there is a problem. Brakes should be inspected periodically, not just when they make noise. When was the last time you had yours looked at?
On 1/9/06 4:35 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com, "Al Bundy"

Not always true. Chrystlers economy line (Neon, PT Cruiser, etc) will make noise within the first 5000 miles on new brakes. DIYers can take wheels and drums off and hosing brake parts with brake parts cleaner to eliminate the problem (for a while).

'
The noise could be normal. Brake rotors and drums can accumulate moisture from sitting overnight in changing weather conditions. If the noise stops after the first few brake applications I wouldn't worry about it.
HOWEVER, you should have your brakes checked by a professional at least yearly or whenever you have a concern about the operation of your brakes.
--

Dave in Columbus