motor question

would the motor of a 91 olds cutlass fit in a 94 achieva ? i blew a intake manifold gasket in my achieva and my sister has said that i could use the 91 motor in her car that her daughter crashed in my car
and save money.

I think it would be easier and cheaper to repair the intake gasket in your car.
Mike wrote:

Agree. Every 'easy swap' I've been around gets into unexpected parts to make it fit and unexpected repairs.
If you live where there are emission inspections, a change in VIN may trigger some emission 'repairs.' -- pj

I agree that fixing the gasket problem in the original engine is the easeir and cheaper approach. Changing out an engine would not affect a vehicle's VIN though.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike wrote:

That depends on how long the OP ran it with a bad gasket. If it leaked internal and destroyed the bearings then a swap might be easier. If they are both the same sized engine it isn't a bad job.
--
Steve W.

I have seen them run with coolant in the oil for a long time with no damage to the bearings. You are correct that a swap may be the better way to go if bearing damage occured. One other point worth mentioning is that swapping the original engine with a used engine is that the used engine will also have the gaskets fail at a later date as well.

Catherine (I guess), Find out exactly what engine you have in the 94 Achieva and what is in the 91 Olds.
Lets assume, for grins, that it is a 3.1 liter GM engine.
Then go to www.car-part.com and do a search for a 3.1 litre engine to fit your 94 Achieva. You may get a ton of replies, but you may be able to quickly see if the same 3.1 engine in the 91 Olds is a "fit".
If you cant do the swap yourself, you will probably have to have someone do it for you, and this should run in the range of $500 or a bit more. Labor, I mean.
And if you do it, be sure that you have the gaskets replaced, belts, ignition wires, etc before the dude does the swap for you.
It would cost you a grand, give or take.
Are you still interested??