Mounting a GPS Gadget

Do you have a GPS mapper in your car ?
If so, where did you mount it ? Is it ( the placement ) convenient ?
I can't find a flat surface on my dashboard
to mount the base. And my state frowns on window-mounted anythings..
Can't ride around with the damn thing in my lap.....
???

I just lay mine in a console niche, or my wife puts it on her lap. A little NUVI. You don't want to look at it anyway when you're driving. It talks.
--Vic

They make a bean-bag mount that will sit on a contoured dash. If you can't find it with a Google search, tray asking on the Garmin newsgroup.
For me, I have mounted a "dashboard disk (large)" from Garmin. The disk comes with a self adhesive and the disk is 3 3/8 inches in diameter. I need the large disk because the suction cup on my old GPS is that big. It keeps the GPS secure during stops and take offs.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=290#accessoryTab

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:04:34 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Only trouble with a permanent mount is that it's an invitation for a break in. Thief knows there's a GPS unit in there someplace. Same with a suction cup mark on the winndshield. wrenden
<RJ> wrote:

Using a Garmin Nuvi. Not a smoker. Same issue -- state says not on the windshield and not on top of the dash.
In my LeSabre I drilled a hole in the bottom of the ash tray and riveted a Garmin mounting pad there.... Pull out the ashtray and Garmin's 'suction cup' mount mates with the mounting pad.
Hole in the ashtray will be plugged with a pop rivet when I sell the car.
No satellite reception problems with this location.
-- pj
I lucked out when I bought my Garmin Niv 260 3.5.. Both cars, I didn't need to make anything to hold the GPS. The Buick I can stand it up (it leans back) in the depression infront of the Radic/HACV controls. On the Bonneville I set it on top of the ashtray door and push it slightly closed and the lower knob on the radio wedges against the top of the GPS.
My suction cup mount was defective out of the box. It would come undone off any flat smooth surface after 2 minutes. Completely useless.
I have an old garage door opener sunvisor clip I make rig up on a small piece of wood or aluminum with velcro attached. Then I can try hanging it from the passengerside sunvisor.
We are men, we have hands... and we can "Build" things...
I built red oak mini consoles for both cars and some day I may make up some type of bracket that will fasten to the console in someway. I don't like driving and having everyone (I pass) see that I have a GPS on the dash. Prefer to keep the stuff low and out of sight.
Good Luck
harryface 91 Bonneville 320,434 05 Park Avenue 92,412

Walmart sold a unit that fit in the cup holders fit most GPS units, before that I used a Spray can top to fit in the cup holder and a clear plastic piece glued on and the suction cup glass mount attached to it. worked good, but at times it couldn't pick up the GPS satellite so I used a external mounted one and velcroed it to the dash on the right side by the window an the windshield frame