Muscle Engine Recommendation 1987 Grand Prix

Looking for a recommendation on a muscle engine to fit a 1987 2dr Grand Prix (orig: 5.0L automatic OD trans). Would like it to fit current trans but not a must. Suggestions?

Jack.

Reply to
Jack M. King

Pontiac used Chevy motors in thier cars in 1987. Chevy 350. It will bolt right up AND use all of your current accessories..AC/PS/wiring etc... Depending on where you get your block, you may have to get adaptors for your sensors (or do your homework to get ones that fit). I did a refit of a 305 to 350 in a 1985 Monte Carlo and used everything from the old car EXCEPT the starter and flywheel. They are different between the two motors. I found out AFTER I got the motor in! Best bet is to find a bigger Pontiac or Chevy (or truck) for the donor motor..A good core can be found for about $200, and a decent street strip motor will come out under $2000 when all is said and driving. The car had good power when we were done and the next mods are a shift kit, and a rear gear change.

Have fun!!

Reply to
eightupman

I agree with eightmanup that the venerable 350 Chevy is the way to go. Depending on your budget, you may want to go with a GM crate engine. From personal experience, I would highly recommend the ZZ4, which has 355 H.P. and 405 lb-ft torque. Another good choice would be the Fast Burn 385, which I believe has 385 H.P. and 385 lb-ft torque.

Reply to
Sting Ray

Advance auto carries standard rebuilt shortblocks that you could bolt your own heads, intake and carb to. It would be nothing to slide the cam out and put in a spicier one. You would not have to worry about the cost of a machine shop either. There are about a billion ways to tackle what you want to do...it all depends on the pocketbook. Hell I wish I had the bones to slide a ZZ4 motor into my Cutlass. My budget is about $2000 so that is out.

Hey Sting Ray...it is eight-up-man; not eight-man-up. Just means two diferent things!!! No harm no foul. ;-)

Reply to
eightupman

Reply to
Sting Ray

It's a 1979, 2 door Supreme. It came with a factory sunroof, aluminum hood and a 305 Chevy powerplant. I am building a 350 Chevy for it this winter, BUT have a Rocket 350 out of a 72 Cutlass sitting in the wings. The car needs a LOT of work, but hopefully will be on the road next summer. I think Ken is up to crap again...see what I posted about the "post mechanical answers to posted questions about General Motors vehicles?" post??

Reply to
eightupman

You hit that one right on the head eightupman! It's Ken's I.P. 65.25.144.64 alright. Did you notice that Ken Heslin, a.k.a. non_cusser, a.k.a. Charge continues with the same droll (mechanical!) message (or should I say troll message?) every time. Kenny gets a failing grade for creativity! *lol* He would make one hell of a poor speech writer!

The 1979 Cutlass and Monte Carlo are two of my all time favorites. I didn't know that the Cutlass came with an aluminum hood. Or is that aftermarket? A

350 Chevy is perfect for that car. Mind you, the Rocket 350 was no slouch either. I suspect that the Chevy engine is easier to find parts for though. Good luck with the project!
Reply to
Sting Ray

Thanks! Any tips on the 350 rebuild since a crate motor is out of the question?

65.25.144.64
Reply to
eightupman

It's been a while since I rebuilt my old 327, before I replaced it with the ZZ4, so I don't recall all the parts I used. Last year I bookmarked a website that you might find helpful though eightupman. They also have rebuild kits for that Rocket 350. Here it is:

I just cruised the web and found a detailed step-by-step self-described "low budget" rebuild of a Chevy 350. It's nine pages long and pretty informative. Check this out eightupman:

Man, there's a lot of stuff on the web. Her's another good site:

I hope these sites are helpful with your rebuild.

Sting Ray

Reply to
Sting Ray

Thanks!!

informative.

Reply to
eightupman

What are the emission laws in your State ? The Chevy is a great choice, but an Olds engine might be " legaler " if you know what I mean.... I'd set it up to * look * like a factory V8, if your State's a tough one. "Don't blame me I'm from Massachusetts "

Reply to
451ctds

Don't settle for an "electric drill " rebuild Do it right, or buy a bone motor for a core, and get a rebuilt long block. My experience is, skimpy rebuilds don't last, good ones do.

Reply to
451ctds

they have a 3 inch thick catalog full of goodies. everyone i know has heard of them, and have used their engine kits. you can also see them used frequently in magazines such as super chevy and car craft.

eightupman wrote:

Reply to
Gerard

I don't blame you! I am originally from upstate NY so I know how tough emission laws can be. The Cutlass came stock with a 305 Chevy motor, VIN H, so sliding in a 350 should be perfectly "legal" in any state as long as the tail pipe tells the right story. Parts are so easy to change, that I can modify the hell out of the intake and carb. When it comes inspection time, just slap the stock ones back on, readjust the timing and get a decent reading for the sniffer. At least that is what I am ever dreaming if I get into that position.

Reply to
eightupman

I still say that California Air Resources Board should be cruelly

*************, for their incredibly stupid laws.

Word has been censored in compliance with US Patriot Act laws.

More importantly, if you can get a FI 350, it *should* be legal in all jurisdictions. Get the donor car as well, so you can wire the harness properly.

Granted, carbs are easier to deal with, but for fuel economy and a faster throttle response, the injection is my recommendation.

Vuarra

Vuarra

I hear that, but I already have one of each motor (Olds 350 and Chevy 350) I would love to build the olds, but the wallet will not allow that at this time. I will save her for something else

Reply to
eightupman

You really need to investigate which engine Chevy vs Olds came stock. While Chevy has starter on Lower RR of Engine. BOP has starter on Lower LR of engine. Because of the starter, a Chevy engine can't bolt to a BOP auto unless you have the universal bellhousing.

You also need to look at:

1) fuel line routing to mechanical fuel pump position, 2) starter position in relation to how transmission bellhousing bolts to rear of engine 3) which V-8 engine actually was available in your car. 4) Be very careful if you install a different engine than stock that the Emission Info Decal matches the engine you installed and the VIN number.
Reply to
39 Ply Coupe