NASCAR a Ripoff!

Page 1 of 2
National Stock Car....not a damn thing stock about it....anymore. We as spectators want to see REAL stock cars slightly modified going around a track like we saw in previous years! Now what we see is a totally ground up
built race car with not eve a single original bolt. The old saying used to be "Win Races on Sunday and Sell Cars on Monday" simply because buyers of those cars could see what they were buying right on the track. NASCAR now has so many damn rules on safety, phoniness, fakeness and expense that only millionaires can only afford to race. Screw all the safety crap, spectators don't watch races just to get dizzy seeing cars go in circle...they watch to see the wrecks and crackups knowing someone could get killed. Lets face it NASCAR its a risky sport and goes with the territory. Nascar is no longer a Nascar, ask Richard Petty and how he and those before him drove real Nascars where danger and excitement truly was. They bought cars off the showroom floor and slightly modified them for the track. It was when the average joe could afford to get on the track and see what his racer would do. NASCAR is now a phoney fake rich mans sport who have the nerve to pass off miilion dollar ground up built race car as a stock car. No wonder American companies can no longer sell cars, people see the phoniness on Sunday so on Monday they say screw it and go out and buy a Toyota.
Amen buddy! When you talk to the old timers you hear the stories about how they would go to a dealership on Wednesday and buy a car on credit, knowing that if they didn't win some money on Sunday they wouldn't be able to pay for the car, or how they would haul their car to the track on their own car trailer pulled by the family station wagon. Kyle Petty tells about eating home made sandwiches on the tailgate of their station wagon while Dad Richard was racing. I realize that most production cars these days don't lend themselves to being made into race cars, but when you see a Nascar Pontiac get made into a Dodge by changing the fake headlight and grille stickers, it's pretty depressing. And God forbid a driver shakes his fist at another driver who cuts him off or he'll get called into the pits for a naughty boy "time out" like he's a child of some new age metrosexual parents! I actually was talking to a friend the other day about how cool it would be if someone would start a competing series that had "door slammers" for cars, and drivers like Jimmy Spencer who refuse to be politically correct! Of course it's no different than other sports. Look at football now compared to 20 years ago. Don't DARE hit a quarterback hard or touch a receiver!! I'm glad that I was a Nascar fan back in the 70's when it was really racing!

-
Heh - the good old days! I think the Wood Brothers actually rented a car from Avis or Hertz and ran it at Riverside in the 60's. It was too much trouble to haul a car from Stuart, VA to California.
Personally I'm totally anti-parity, all the way. I think 1988 was the end of the world, basically. GM stopped making V8 rear drive sedans, but NASCAR allowed them to keep racing using a fully fictional car. That was the last step into oblivion.
There is showroom stock racing going on, and less modified forms of racing. You may have to get out of your recliner to see it, though.

How old are you? When do you think "Cup Cars" were even slightly related to what you could buy? The chassis stopped being related to stock cars in the late 60's. The engines stopped being related to stock cars in the 70's. The bodies quit being anything like stock cars in the 90's. Nextel Cup racers are special built race cars like most other commerically sucessful race series. I think NASCAR is a little more restrictive than most other series since the NASCAR rules now pretty much say everything is illegal unless it is specifically authorized. When you get down to issuing spec stocks to teams for a race, you know it is very restictive. If you want "stock" car racing check out the SCCA. The SCCA still has a showroom stock series (see http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/ShowroomStock.pdf ).
Modern day NASCAR racing suffers in comparison to the good old days - but then what doesn't.
Ed

Thats basically the original point being made...its no longer no where near stock. Of course it didnt happen over night it was a progression as you say which has become what we see now...a phoney stock car only the rich can afford to drive.

You rarely hear NASCAR or the broadcasters refer to Nextel Cup Cars as "stock cars." They almost always call them "Cup" cars or "Busch" cars. The original poster was ranting about something that hasn't existed in 35+ years. NASCAR started down the slippery slope when they let Chrysler race the original hemi's - a special built race engine that wasn't available as a regular production engine for two years after it won the Daytona 500. Anyone that is ranting that NASCAR isn't like it used to be is either very old or very naive. When was the last time that you saw a reference to what N-A-S-C-A-R stands for? Heck the NASCAR web site even admits that the cars aren't "stock" cars (although occasionally they screw up and use the term). I copied the following from the NASCAR website "History" page:
"Throughout the 53-year history of NASCAR, the cars have been transformed from road-going, true "stock" cars into the sleek, technologically advanced machines that we see today"
Calling them technologically advanced is a little much in my opinion. Freezing the technology to the point that you are building highly refined 1972 Fords Torino "Stock Cars" and then calling the cars "technologically advanced machines" takes a lot of gall.
I was only grumbling that the original poster was about 40 years to late if he wanted to preserve "stock car racing."
Ed
It's too bad that it's a driver/team race now instead of also being a car race. The whole concept of racing different "stock" cars against each other is what is exciting in my book.

Its to commercial, and yes phoney. Isa game only for the wealthy now. You gotta pay to play, no not just a few paychecks, but millions. Lets face it back in the day one would route for there favorite car, and the race car would actually look like your car that was parked in your driveway. Now they all look alike except for colors and numbers. And just because its a Chevy its has not a DAMN thing to do with the chevy parked in your driveway, so its phoney and not worth rooting for.

When big money rears its ugly head in any sport then that sport is going to change in various ways. Now its called the "Nextel Cup" what the hell is a Nextel? At least with the Winston Cup you knew it was a cigarette. :)
Tommy Bastogne wrote:
<snip>

And next yr NASCAR will have "Toyota Camrys" in the field.
So I guess you will have to buy a Honda.
Yes and THAT Camry will be RWD and have a FORD 9" rear like all of the others. Unlike the eight out of ten Camrys sold in the US, with a 4 Cyl engine, THAT Camry will be able to get out of its own way LOL

Thats even phonier because it no longer is national, but international. Lets see how long it takes them to become INTERSCAR and dump the NASCAR.

Maybe you do but it wouldn't put this many butts in the seats or even warrant a TV contract.
Real stock? Go watch your Saturday nite hobby stocks.....pffft!

I would rather see a stock car wreck at 120 mph anyday that to see a cage flipping across the track at 165 knowing the driver will walk away without a scratch. I want to bent metal not paper thin tin.

You must have been very happy watching that race back on 2-18-2001, and every other race before that where drivers were killed or severely injured.

cage
without
injured.
Happy no...but it was certainly exciting. It can be like watching an old film clip of a ww2 fighter dogfight knowing someone will die going down in flames, but its exciting as hell to watch.
Tommy Bastogne wrote:

Who are entering cars in the 2007 season. Maybe they're sick of selling cars in the US too...
--
Abo

www.pickuptruckracing.com

We? YOU don't speak for us spectators !!!

Speaks for the majority.

Show proof.