need advice about starter

My son's olds cutlass 96 with the 3.1 and pass key is having starting trouble. A couple times a month it won't start, no crank no click nothing. The power to the radio and lights work. If he leaves it for a couple minutes then goes back it will start. It hasn't done it enough to troubleshoot it. He is going away to college and I would like to try to fix it. Does it sound like starter or ignition switch? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Reply to
Tj

David J and Lynne J Shepherd

No flashing. It does light up but it lights when it starts normal. I tried swapping keys but it does the same thing. It is hard to pin point because it doesn't do it often enough.

Reply to
Tj

I had similar problem with the starter on my LeSabre.  I was looking for one of those problems in the wiring  and electronics.  Advise I got from this site was it is probably the starter.  If it works after hitting the starter with a hammer change the starter. I then looked at the schematic again and realized that the solinoid circuit runs through the starter motor.  Hence:  bad/worn brush will cause the intermitant problem. Once again the problem was simple, I was looking for a more complex solution. Bill Tj wrote: My son's olds cutlass 96 with the 3.1 and pass key is having starting trouble. A couple times a month it won't start, no crank no click nothing. The power to the radio and lights work. If he leaves it for a couple minutes then goes back it will start. It hasn't done it enough to troubleshoot it. He is going away to college and I would like to try to fix it. Does it sound like starter or ignition switch? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Reply to
Bill