Need advice...theft lock on radio

Hi all. I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE. The radio wont work and the only thing on the face is LOC. I retrieved the codes by pressing and holding the 2 & 3 button, called the 800 number and got the unlock code
but when I try to put it in theres no change. Could someone please tell me the trick to this? Is there some special way this has to be done? Ignition on, off, push another button or something??? Thanks in advance.
Biker Brian
http://community.webtv.net/Biker_Brian2003/CelebrationCity
as long as you have the numbers right, put them in and pressed the am/fm button, you should be all set... the other thing I have seen done is you may have reversed the sets of 3 numbers... Bobo