Need Help 89 Cavalier Just Stops

Have 1989 Cavalier R/T wagon - 2.2 - auto - AC - 58K - there are no oil leaks or gas leaks. Has always run supper. Drive about 15 miles, come to stop and the motor shakes a little and dies. The motor will start right up and run good at any rpm. Try to put in gear and it dies. It will always start again and run good at any rpm. After working the shift lever back and forth it will finally go to the next stop and then die again. I have changed the normal things like plugs

- wires - oil + filter - air filters. I have not changed the fuel filter - pcv valve - oxygen sensor. Also there is and electrical connector or module on the top of the trans. where the shift lever is. Could this module be the problem. The trans. shifts good and the converter locks up ok. Fluid is full in trans. Will start in P and N.

Thanks for your help.

Warren

Reply to
warrenry

I suggest you find a good mechanic to diagnose the problem as the items you mentioned replacing will not give you the problem without some drivability problems. You have probably already spent more than having a good mechanic fix the problem. It is more likely an ignition or wiring/ground problem, possibly in the steering column.

Reply to
Woody

I have not spent any money on the car so far. As I said these normal main. things that I did were some time ago. I checked to see if there were any trouble codes stored in the computer and there were none. I thought that this problem may have happened to one of you, and that would head me in the right direction. I'm a good backyard tech with good electrical knowledge. Just trying to save a bunch of time.

Thanks

Warren

Reply to
warrenry