Need help.... thumping in steering column?

'99 Chevy Cavalier 2.2. While turning the vehicle, regardless of speed or direction of turn, there is a 'thunk' that can be heard and felt from the steering wheel as it is being turned. I raised the front end up,
removed the wheels, and had the steering moved back and forth to trace the sounds. They are not coming from the CV joints, and can be traced to the column somewhere from the firewall to the steering wheel itself.
Any idea what could be causing it? The noise is getting progressively louder, so I figure something has to be wearing out but I'm not sure what it could be. Other than the thunking, the steering works fine. I want to tackle this before something wears and I end up damaging other parts of the steering column.
Thanks for any advice.
Need help.... thumping in steering column? Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Wed, Jan 7, 2004, 9:15am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Tzihuac) '99 Chevy Cavalier 2.2. While turning the vehicle, regardless of speed or direction of turn, there is a 'thunk' that can be heard and felt from the steering wheel as it is being turned. I raised the front end up, removed the wheels, and had the steering moved back and forth to trace the sounds. They are not coming from the CV joints, and can be traced to the column somewhere from the firewall to the steering wheel itself. Any idea what could be causing it? The noise is getting progressively louder, so I figure something has to be wearing out but I'm not sure what it could be. Other than the thunking, the steering works fine. I want to tackle this before something wears and I end up damaging other parts of the steering column. Thanks for any advice.
It is the intermediate shaft....Its a shaft that goes from the steering colum to the rack and pinion....All it may need is lubed with what GM calls special lube there is a bulletin on this ...The only way to tell is to pull it out if it don't come apart the splines may still be good inside and just need lubed...You can get this grease for around 5-10.00 at the dealer and comes with directions...This is very common on both cars and trucks.... Steve C
Would like to get information as well. I have a 2000 Sunfire GT with similar problem. So, how does the grease solve this problem? If it is a mechanical play due to wear or design, or perhaps regular maintenance issue will greasing will solve this problem? Does anyone has pictures or web-links that helps explaining this? Paul
(Tzihuac)

The intermediate shaft is designed so that the one end can telescope in and out of the other.. GM describes the problem as a slip-stick condition, I believe the lubrication helps it slide in and out more easily.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
TOP POST This is correct...On newer models GM didnt put enough grease into the shaft.Which is the reason most newer models have the clunk...There is a TSB out for this...As your truning the clunk is really the shaft moving in and out....When you gease it it moves easier thus ridding the clunk....This is all too common on GM cars and trucks.....The only way to solve it is too add more grease which in time wears away but it doesnt wear fast enough to call it a maint issue....Or to do it like you would a oil change...Just one of those things that happen just because..... Steve C Re: Need help.... thumping in steering column? Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Fri, Jan 9, 2004, 3:50am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospamshaw.ca (RobertHancock) The intermediate shaft is designed so that the one end can telescope in and out of the other.. GM describes the problem as a slip-stick condition, I believe the lubrication helps it slide in and out more easily.
[...]
Re: Need help.... thumping in steering column? Top Post No there i no grease fitting you need to remove the shaft.....To do this there re 2 bolts one that holds the shaft to the rack and the other to the steering colum....I believe they are 12mm.. Pull the boot down to expose the bolt at the steering colum...You need to raise the car take off the left front tire(its easier to reach this way)lift the other end of the boot to expose the bolt that holds the shaft to the rack.....Next pull the shaft out from the inside of the car.....In the lube kit it has instructions on how to lube it I could tell ya but it takes too long to explaine ...The directions even have pictures for guys ike me:) then reverse the process to reinstall.....Its kinda bitch but i ssure you it does come out and go back in.... Steve C Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Fri, Jan 9, 2004, 5:30pm (CST+1) From: paul snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Paul) Thanks, So how do you add grease for a Sunfire 2000 GT model? Is there a grease fitting under or inside the car?
(Robert Hancock) The intermediate shaft is designed so that the one end can telescope in and out of the other.. GM describes the problem as a slip-stick condition, I believe the lubrication helps it slide in and out more easily.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada To email, remove "nospam" from
snipped-for-privacy@nospamshaw.ca Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/ "Paul"

Steve, great info, thanks again. Gonna hit up the Chevy dealer for the lube kit and go from there.
Steve Cook wrote:

does this apply to a 2000 sierra 4.3 2wd rack and pinion steering too. I picked up the kit and stuff looks a little different under the hood. Just above the universal attached to the steering unit is a bellow looking piece that is hallow, and the shaft goes up to the upper bolt. I don't see a sliding spline at all. Is it inside the boot on the firewall from the steering column? I have the shop manual and can't really tell from it either. The pix look like a straight shaft. Hmmmm. Has there been a change or am I missing something---wouldn't be the first time. Thanks
Re: Need help.... thumping in steering column? Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, Jan 17, 2004, 5:59pm (CST-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@provide.net (chuck)
Steve, great info, thanks again. Gonna hit up the Chevy dealer for the lube kit and go from there. Steve Cook wrote: Re: Need help.... thumping in steering column? Top Post No there i no grease fitting you need to remove the shaft.....To do this there re 2 bolts one that holds the shaft to the rack and the other to the steering colum....I believe they are 12mm.. Pull the boot down to expose the bolt at the steering colum...You need to raise the car take off the left front tire(its easier to reach this way)lift the other end of the boot to expose the bolt that holds the shaft to the rack.....Next pull the shaft out from the inside of the car.....In the lube kit it has instructions on how to lube it I could tell ya but it takes too long to explaine ...The directions even have pictures for guys ike me:) then reverse the process to reinstall.....Its kinda bitch but i assure you it does come out and go back in.... Steve C does this apply to a 2000 sierra 4.3 2wd rack and pinion steering too. I picked up the kit and stuff looks a little different under the hood. Just above the universal attached to the steering unit is a bellow looking piece that is hallow, and the shaft goes up to the upper bolt. I don't see a sliding spline at all. Is it inside the boot on the firewall from the steering column? I have the shop manual and can't really tell from it either. The pix look like a straight shaft. Hmmmm. Has there been a change or am I missing something---wouldn't be the first time. Thanks You may have a straight shaft...The splines in question cannot be seen until you remove the shaft and you extend it ...At the top of the shaft should be a universal joint...the bottom is a straight shaft...This is the intermediate shaft. Steve C