Need help with son's car

My son told me today that once in a while his car won't start. Nothing....but his radio and lights works. Any ideas?

I forgot to mention it is a 96 cutlass with a sercuity chip in key. I was wondering if the key might not be reading. He said if he waits 5 minutes then it will start.

What does the Security or Theft System light do when this happens?
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Given the age of the car, I recommend you jumper the relay (back left of IP) to disable the passkey. ('96 is still Passkey 1 - I think).

He has the chip in key. I am not sure if he has a sercurity light.

Mike, what is the IP? Where is it located? The pass key was my first thought, but wasn't sure what to do.

IP is instrument panel. The PassKey relay (for PK1) is usually against the firewall at the leftmost corner (facing the IP).

Some vehicles have a relay which the theft deterrent system controls in order to prevent/allow the engine from cranking (I don't think this is actually one of them). However, bypassing this relay will NOT successfully disable the system, since fuel delivery still will not work.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
There is no relay that you can just jumper to disable it, it's part of the ECM and BCM.